Food for dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiVZ

I have a dubia colony and wanted to start feeding them Nutro Max dog food as a staple since buying the food online can get pretty expensive over time.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the ingredients in the dog food would be ideal for the roaches and the dragon, or if anything might harm them.

Here are the ingredients:
Chicken meal, wheat flour, ground whole wheat, rice bran, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of natural vitamin E), corn gluten meal, ground rice, lamb meal, natural flavors, yeast culture, calcium carbonate, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried buttermilk, dried kelp, dried egg product, lecithin, zinc sulfate, iron sulfate, vitamin E supplement, iron oxide, garlic, ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, vitamin A supplement, manganous oxide, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin (source of vitamin B2), calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, copper sulfate.

Crude protein (min.) 26%, crude fat (min.) 16%, crude fiber (max.) 4%, moisture (max.) 10%, linoleic acid (min.) 3.5%, ascorbic acid (min.) 35.0%*. *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles. Calorie Content: Nutro Max Natural contains 3,690 kcal/kg of metabolizable energy; (ME) on as-fed basis (calculated).

I would be mixing it with whole grain oats, vitamins, and maybe fish flakes. I also will be feeding them fruits and veggies a few times a week.

Also, please let me know if you have any other suggestions for ingredients in the roach feed.

Thanks a lot for your help

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I use a variety of foods but they love the Gerber rice cereal with fruit. Mine love banana's as well. I also use cricket food with calcium.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
The nutro max is excellent Dubia feed! I would also add fresh fruits and veggies on a regular basis. I give mine pieces of fruit and veggies left over from dinner or the ends that are left after preparation. Mine really like citrus, apples and moist veggies.

Just be sure to remove any leftovers from their tote after a couple of days to avoid mold. Mold is the mortal enemy to roaches. My colony is big enough that there are never any left overs, but if yours is smaller you will want to watch it.

Eric

LiVZ

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys!

I just noticed that at http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html it listed garlic as having "potential toxicity" for bearded dragons. I'm thinking that there might only be a problem if you would feed a dragon large amounts of garlic and that there would only be traces of garlic in the food. Do you think that the amount of garlic in the dubia food would cause any harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom