Food for a Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Hello, I just picked up a baby beardie today, the petsmart people said he or she was about 6 months of age. Well.. He's only 3 1/2 inches, soo... I'm thinking they're wrong. Anyway he' very stressed right now due to his new home, but he's calming down. The crickets they sold were all too big for him and I'm scared they'll choke him or break him some how. I'm using him because he feels like a him. I know you can give them baby food, but I'd like to make some sort of paste for the little dragon, one with all the essentials he needs. And my question is, should I feed him the crickets, or make them into some sort of paste with baby food and what not. And if I should make a paste what should be in it?

shadi11

BD.org Addict
He could very well be that age and possibly just didnt get enough food.. What I did for mine when I had to make their food is I took the greens that were good for them, collard, mustard, turnip.. Butternut squash, their suppliments and feeders and a tiny bit of water and I would puree everything into a liquid. I would give him time to adjust to his home unless he seems to be acting as though he is lathargic. He may eat on his own without issue if you could find appropriate size food. or even offer a salad. The whole process of feeding him if its not needed could actually be more stressful on him since he just came into your home.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright thank you, He has been pretty lathargic after his little spurt of glass dancing, and now he's kinda just hanging out on his branch soaking up the rays. I got him at 3 and arrived home about 3:30 ( Town is a half hour away ) and it's 8:26 now. So he was energetic for about an hour. I just fed him water, that had mixed juice ( Only a little bit ) A couple tea spoons of Calcium powder, and water ( The squirt bottle is about 10 times as big as he is. I'll be adding a picture here soon.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Heres what you could try.. Mix up a slurry of that stuff if you can and try dripping on his nose or possibly even lick off a spoon because those two methods will be less stressful than trying to force anything in his mouth

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, I'm going to feed him tomorrow, I know he ate at the pet store today, since I picked him up so late. I'm going to give him some time to simmer down some more. He was watching me type but he's moved to sleep I think. I'm sure the stress has made him tired. I'm going to continue to give him water later, I think in an hour I'll give him some more of the water and then let him go to sleep.

20pou8w.jpg

Here's a picture of it :)

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Doing well, I got another lamp up and I took down those Devilish Gauge thermometers, Now I'm on a digital one, I need another for the cool end, but it's about 101 F Is that too much? and His stress marks are becoming less frequent, although he' been keeping his mouth held open for awhile now... I fed him some of his baby goop, and a little bit of water. He seems kinda wrinkly but he won't drink more.

So here's my questions

1) Should I bathe him?
2) Is the mouth open bad?
3) And should I put a piece of my clothing into his little box to help him adjust to me?

He's usually not stressed when I'm holding him, only when he eats.

( I asked number two in another thread )

Sorry

shadi11

BD.org Addict
does the digital thermometer have a probe?
you could give him a short bath. It wont hurt anything.. A piece of clothing is not necessary.. And the mouth open is how they tend to thermo regulate. Like a dog panting. Usually they will move away after awhile too. But if he isnt you may want to consider moving your wattage down a little although 100-110 degrees is usually ideal

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes it does, have a probe and what does it mean when they won't let go of you when you try and put them down? And he won't eat crickets, I can't seem to get him to eat anything yet.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! He just ate his first meal of crickets! turns out hes very independent. One of them escaped out of my hand as I Tried to get him worked up about eating and he attacked it as soon as it hit the ground and gobbled it up, he ate about five!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom