Fluorescent tube fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a 30"x12"x12" and in the future going to build a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot enclosure and is wondering if it is worth my time to buy a 30" fixture so I don have to uprgade in the future or an 18" one and buying a second fixture(same size or bigger) later for the larger aquarium.

Also are the new ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulbs as good or better then the RpetiSun 10.0 UVB T8 HO bulbs

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I wouldnt buy a new fixture until the bigger tank is ready. The 5.0 doesnt let off as much uvb as the 10.0

weasey

I am trying to find out an answer to the EXACT same question!!!

I need to know what SIZE fixture/bulb we need for our new 48"l x 24"w x 14"d custom habitat.

If all else fails, I'm going to go with the 36" Reptisun 10.0 UVB.....although fairly certain sure that the 24" would be sufficient.

I just talked to Jennifer at the manufacturer's office (#888-496-6633) & she offered a really good explanation of the difference between the new T5 vs. the T8 HO UVB bulbs. In short, she said to stick with the T8 10.0 for our set-up, which is nearly identical to yours.

She was a reptile owner herself & you could definitely tell that she knew her stuff about the habitat in addition to being educated than most about the bulbs themselves. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you hear anything more definitive about the actual overall bulb size......

alexajeanmarie

I actually need help with something like this as well. hahaha. I just noticed our zoomed UVB bulb is only a 5.0... Will this be a big problem? Our beardie is still pretty little. Does that make any difference? What are some recommended bulbs?

TheGreganater

Original Poster
alexajeanmarie":2u8vzehb said:
I actually need help with something like this as well. hahaha. I just noticed our zoomed UVB bulb is only a 5.0... Will this be a big problem? Our beardie is still pretty little. Does that make any difference? What are some recommended bulbs?

As far as I know the 10.0 is the bulb you must have since 5.0 gives off 5% UVB well the 10.0 gives of 10% UVB and which desert animals require the higher of the two.

TheGreganater

Original Poster
weasey":1th2s60r said:
I am trying to find out an answer to the EXACT same question!!!

I need to know what SIZE fixture/bulb we need for our new 48"l x 24"w x 14"d custom habitat.

If all else fails, I'm going to go with the 36" Reptisun 10.0 UVB.....although fairly certain sure that the 24" would be sufficient.

I just talked to Jennifer at the manufacturer's office (#888-496-6633) & she offered a really good explanation of the difference between the new T5 vs. the T8 HO UVB bulbs. In short, she said to stick with the T8 10.0 for our set-up, which is nearly identical to yours.

She was a reptile owner herself & you could definitely tell that she knew her stuff about the habitat in addition to being educated than most about the bulbs themselves. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you hear anything more definitive about the actual overall bulb size......

From what I have found out from research you should have the bulb covering 1/2 the overall tank size but going for the whole tank size is better, to solve this problem for me, I am going to grt this, http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Lighting/DIY-Lighting-Systems/A1567, which would enable me to use the different length bulbs unless the ballast would complete wreck the bulbs, still yet to find a reason why not

XiDiS

Juvie Member
TheGreganater":19l17fsm said:
I currently have a 30"x12"x12" and in the future going to build a 4 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot enclosure and is wondering if it is worth my time to buy a 30" fixture so I don have to uprgade in the future or an 18" one and buying a second fixture(same size or bigger) later for the larger aquarium.

Also are the new ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO bulbs as good or better then the RpetiSun 10.0 UVB T8 HO bulbs

From the info i found (from a simple google search) both of these bulbs are fine. The only difference is the T8 light fixtures are an older style. The T5 are newer... they use less power and are more compact.

brittani299":19l17fsm said:
I wouldnt buy a new fixture until the bigger tank is ready. The 5.0 doesnt let off as much uvb as the 10.0

Where in the original post does he mention 5.0 bulbs?

TheGreganater

Original Poster
XiDiS":1jpenhi2 said:
TheGreganater":1jpenhi2 said:

From the info i found (from a simple google search) both of these bulbs are fine. The only difference is the T8 light fixtures are an older style. The T5 are newer... they use less power and are more compact.

Ya found that after I posted but doesn't do much help for me since no Canadian retails handle them yet

XiDiS

Juvie Member
I went with a 24" T8 tube. I use it right now in my 40gal tank and when i upgrade to the 75gal (4ft long) it will still work. :)

brittani299

Extreme Poster
XiDiS":36pfal0l said:
TheGreganater":36pfal0l said:

brittani299":36pfal0l said:

Opps I post a lot I think the post before they talked about the 5.0. This post is not about the 5.0 but in general the 5.0 doesnt let off as much uvb as the 10.0

weasey

brittani299":36pb16lh said:
XiDiS":36pb16lh said:
TheGreganater":36pb16lh said:

brittani299":36pb16lh said:

Opps I post a lot I think the post before they talked about the 5.0. This post is not about the 5.0 but in general the 5.0 doesnt let off as much uvb as the 10.0

The initial post was referencing the new ReptiSun T5 bulb in lieu of the T8.....but she was asking about 10.0 either way. It's my understanding that the T8 is still better.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom