Flexability in legs and toes?? Or is something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I am a new beardie owner and I have noticed that my lil guy Elliot has EXTREME flexability in his legs and feet... meanning when he walks or we put him down, he will keep his foot bent inward, outward, which ever way it lands... here's a pic to give you an idea... sometimes he will almost look like he is walking on his knuckles!! ? Could he have a calcium def. from prolonged lack of calcium...which led to this? Or do most beardie have such flexible legs and feet? If this is a possible issue, what can I do to help him? (I am doing the calcium food shakes.) Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. :)

LegTwist.jpg

Other than this concern, I am still loving every moment with him!! He cuddled with my husband today which was just too cute! (Is there a limitation to the length of time a beardie should be out and not under a light? I was afraid he was getting cold and made him my hubby put him back in his house.)

Lennifer

Juvie Member
It could def be a calcium deficiency, especially if he is actually walking around on his bent limbs, as in the pic. I would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side. I'm sure they can give him/her a calcium shot or something to help. It is def not normal for them to walking on their ankles. Good luck & keep us posted.

~Sandy

LJean

Extreme Poster
It isnt good for them to walk on their ankles that way. Looks like it is from the lack of calcium. I am not sure what you should do to help him. A vet visit may be in order.

newbeardie79

Original Poster
I checked in with Prehistoric Pets, a pet store that specializes in reptiles, and $80 later (lol) I have a whole new set up for his home. I removed the horrible sand that he came with and replaced it with an a natural pellet type of bedding, added some slate rocks, and some drift wood. Amazingly, this seems to be helping him A LOT already! In fact, my 5 year onld daughter said, "Mom, look, he's standing like a dog! I didn't know he could do that!" LOL!! And he is correcting his footing. Still seems really non-challant about his toe positions, but with the calcium powder and all the veggies, I'm giving him, I am hopeful to see some changes in the near future.... if not; ...to the vet we will surely go. He seems happy with his new place, but time should tell if he is reaping the benefits. And his health is number one; his happiness is a very close second! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom