First vet check up

Status
Not open for further replies.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Hello, i just took Walter my 7-8 mo BD to the vet today. his poops were smelly and abnormal looking they two to three movements. i had him on supers for a while (right when he got to 16 inches) and everything was moving along perfectly, looked good and smelled good(err well relatively) Recently i was in between shipment of supers so i got him some petco crickets :O im thinking thats what made him smelly.
the Dr was really cool and agreed his poops need to be sent out. he gave me Flagyl Liquid to be given 0.4 ml by mouth daily for 14 days. since ive never been to a vet before, does this sound good? isnt there yogurt i can give him witht e medicine (i think ive heard that on these boards)? im asking here before any meds are given.

Info:
name: walter :D
male
Length: 16.5-17 inches long
WT: 403 grams
40 gallon tank
reptisun 10.0 (within 8 inches)
regular 45 flood light for basking
Basking temp consistent 105-106
coolside 75-78
night temp 70 CHE if needed
2 walmart digital thermometers
Eats: superworms, graded Butternut squash as main staples

tyvm for any input

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update:

I got the results and there positive for pinworms and coccida...

the vet wants to add two more meds; panacur 0.4 daily for three days and albon 0.4 daily for three days.

i stoped by the store and bought some wholesoy brand soy yogurt. so ill see if he'll eat some. If anyone has any advise please tell me. im really worried. specially about the meds.

Ps i even got a copy of the fecal report if that helps ill share

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The fecal report will help Tracie (drache613 is her screen name) I will pm her and direct her to this thread, incase she hasn't found it yet. I'm concerned about the vet giving her a med before the test results came back. Tracie can help you with the meds.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
BTW: I do know panacure is used for pinworms and albon for other parasites. I don't know about the first one you mentioned before the results came back. I just sent the pm I mentioned. I don't think that the vet should have prescribed any meds before getting the results back.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
since i was running out of time and options i went ahead and gave him the meds tonight.

2010-05-30%2019.33.39.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure Tracie will be checking this thread shortly. I wanted to jump in and say that I agree with Lori, the vet prescribing the Flagyl before the results were back isn't a good idea. Did you start the Flagyl?

The 4+ pinworms does indeed need treatment and that's what the Panacur will take care of. Usually the Panacur is given once and then repeated in a week. In my opinion, the 1+ Coccidia shouldn't need treatment as that isn't a very high amount at all. So, I don't understand why he prescribed the Albon or Flagyl. We'll see what Tracie thinks though.

Giving that soy yogurt is a good idea as that will help to restore the good gut flora that the antibiotics can destroy. It's also important to keep him very well hydrated during antibiotic treatment.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ty Ty Ty!

ive heard there supposed to be SOME bacteria in him anyways...
hes had .4 flagyl once yesterday (about .2 actually got in his mouth) and .4 of all three today...
he had a bath today and about 12 super worms (good ones from mullberry farms)
he is acting his normal self and pooped today. still looked bad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, I totally agree!
The counts of Pinworms are acceptable to go ahead & treat with Panacur. However, the counts of Coccidia are perfectly fine & rather normal actually so you don't need to give him any Albon at all.
You need to discontinue the Flagyl as he doesn't have any flagellates or amoebas that need treatment. It is extremely harsh on their system anyway.
So, bottom line, he just really only needs 1 of the 3 medications so you can save his system from a lot of stress. The Panacur only needs to be given once weekly, on average, for a treatment cycle of 2 to 3 treatments. That should take care of the pinworms pretty easily.

How is he doing today?

Tracie

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you!

ok so stop everything but the Panacur (hes had one dose so far) and give it to him two more times once a week? for a total of three doses? Is it still 0.4 each time? the vet wants to recheck the fecal on Saturday, should i give it more time in between?

Today hes already had a bath, poop collard greens, and 8 super worms. he seems to be his normal self.

2010-04-25%2012.01.49.jpg

hes my special lizard friend, very important i fix this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great he seems to be doing well & has eaten some superworms, too! :D
Yes, just give one dose, every 7 days. So you don't need to give another dose before his fecal on saturday. Well, do you know if it is the standard 10% paste of Panacur? If so, it looks like his dose is a little high. At the recommended 25-50mg/kg that is the highest really, that he needs to go. I calculated 50mg/kg for his body weight & the dose would be .2ml so you could decrease it slightly.
He is a nice looking boy!

Tracie

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ill have to go home and see if it says any additional info on the panacur, ill update today. this morning he was in good spirits, ate very well, had his salad and supers. in fact i thinks hes eating more salad then normal?!? the only thing i wanted to ask was about prevention. if i keep his viv clean, only buy good worms(mullberry farms) and keep them clean, fresh veggies, he should have minimal chance of this happening right? im guessing its the crud crickets from petco that did this. never again.

thanks for all the help from me and walter.

theclub83

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok heres the panacur info if it helps.
100mg
dispense per ml/#1.2 ml
give 0.4 daily (which im not)

so i should ask if its 100mg dose that change the dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom