First timer here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wandigo

Hey all, just got my first Bearded Dragon yesterday. This is my first reptile pet so I really look forward to using these forums to guide me alone in raising this little guy. I haven't got a name for him yet but I'm leaning towards either Bruce Lee or Seth Able (he created an old 90s DOS game called Legend of the Red Dragon) :)

pb1jxW3.jpg

jbSksZM.jpg

7g2HqPM.jpg

yQSe9uT.jpg

Tf40QQ2.jpg

Here's his set-up for now. It's a 10gallon tank, and I will be upgrading to a larger size I assume within a few months when he gets a little bigger. Feeding him crickets, cilantro and veggies. I seem to be having trouble getting the temperature in the tank in the 90s though, I'm not sure if it's because I have a weak light (60wat red bulb) or because the cage is near my balcony window.

Di0Pp10.jpg

Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure I will get from here!!

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Ditch the red bulb... beardies need bright white basking lights. Do you have a UVB light at all? If so what brand name and style is it? Basking temps should be around 110-115f at the hotest spot and 80-90 on the cool side.

wandigo

Original Poster
XiDiS":1u1y2jc0 said:
Ditch the red bulb... beardies need bright white basking lights. Do you have a UVB light at all? If so what brand name and style is it? Basking temps should be around 110-115f at the hotest spot and 80-90 on the cool side.

These are the two lights I am using. The Day White Light came with the cage setup and the other bulb was given to me by the breeder that sold me the dragon:
5itE2B1.jpg

If these aren't what I need, what kind of bulbs should I buy instead?

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I would also get rid of the water bowl, they create humidity with can cause respiratory infections. Most of us on here don't use water bowls, a soak of shallow warm water up to his elbows every other day will keep him hydrated because they absorb water through their vents. I agree with getting rid of the red bulb. You can use a halogen flood or regular clear household bulb for basking. You need a probe thermometer to measure temps, the dial thermometers can be off by 20 degrees. His basking spot needs to be between 105-110. Also you will need to get a Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb light or an arcadia 12%. You can get the fixture for them at walmart for $8. The uvb coils can cause eye damage and don't have the correct wavelengths that beardies require. It needs to be mounted on the inside of the tank because the screen filters out the uvb, you can use 3M command hooks to do this. He is a cutie! :)

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Also don't use the red light at night. As long as the tank doesn't fall below 65 at night then he doesn't need any extra heat. If it falls below 65 then you can use a ceramic heat emitter.

wandigo

Original Poster
Thanks! I went and bought a 13W ReptileGlow 10.0 UVB bulb so I'll see how that goes. I still need to get a better thermometer as well. I already had to give him a quick bath earlier because he ran across my breakfast plate and stepped on french toast covered with syrup. LOL

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
You need to take the bulb back and get a ReptiSun 10.0 tube, the reptiglo will cause eye issues.

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Welcome! Your little guy is so tiny! I love the picture of him sleeping on your finger :)
You will want to get a reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% UVB tube in order for him to grow properly. Any others will probably cause more harm than good. You can measure temperatures more accurately with a infrared temperature gun or a thermometer w/ probe. Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions!

wandigo

Original Poster
Lindz0518":28ob7tx6 said:
I would also get rid of the water bowl, they create humidity with can cause respiratory infections. Most of us on here don't use water bowls, a soak of shallow warm water up to his elbows every other day will keep him hydrated because they absorb water through their vents. I agree with getting rid of the red bulb. You can use a halogen flood or regular clear household bulb for basking. You need a probe thermometer to measure temps, the dial thermometers can be off by 20 degrees. His basking spot needs to be between 105-110. Also you will need to get a Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb light or an arcadia 12%. You can get the fixture for them at walmart for $8. The uvb coils can cause eye damage and don't have the correct wavelengths that beardies require. It needs to be mounted on the inside of the tank because the screen filters out the uvb, you can use 3M command hooks to do this. He is a cutie! :)
Hey Lindz, thanks for all the advice. So this is what I have so far, just want to make sure I'm doing this properly. I have a Zilla Day White Light incandescent light above his basking spot and I also went and bought a Reptisun 10.0 tube uvb light with a fixure I got from wal-mart. Are they in the right spots?

RKqc9x7.jpg

These are them flipped up just so you can see what I have going on. Do I need the plastic cover on the tube fixure or should I take that off?
D9updQ2.jpg

Thanks again!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there! Unfortunately, you should return that light fixture. You want to get at walmart instead an under cabinet fixture that you can hang INSIDE the tank. The screen alone blocks out 50% or more of the good UVB, and the plastic blocks out all of it. You want to mount the bulb inside the tank with 3M command hooks, 8-10 inches from the basking spot.

wandigo

Original Poster
daner923":3phax4li said:
Hi there! Unfortunately, you should return that light fixture. You want to get at walmart instead an under cabinet fixture that you can hang INSIDE the tank. The screen alone blocks out 50% or more of the good UVB, and the plastic blocks out all of it. You want to mount the bulb inside the tank with 3M command hooks, 8-10 inches from the basking spot.

This is the fixture I bought from Wal-Mart. Was it the wrong item?
S3cJROw.jpg

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
If it is the large brown fixture in your posts above, then yes it is the wrong one. You might be able to mount that inside, though. It does have those holes in the top/back that you could hang it on the 3M hooks with. The one I got from Wal-Mart was by the same company, but looked like this (this is my set-up):

Wyn3zHa.jpg

wandigo

Original Poster
daner923":4lgfwvku said:
If it is the large brown fixture in your posts above, then yes it is the wrong one. You might be able to mount that inside, though. It does have those holes in the top/back that you could hang it on the 3M hooks with. The one I got from Wal-Mart was by the same company, but looked like this (this is my set-up):

Thanks again for the help. I couldn't find anything like yours that was small enough to fit my cage, butI found something similar. Is this okay for now or is it too much for such a small cage? I don't know if it's possible for little Bruce Lee to get TOO close to the light or maybe even touch the bulb and burn himself so I want to be careful. I plan on getting a bigger cage within a month or two once he gets a little bigger. For now should I try this or stick with my 10.0 ubv Bulb until I get a bigger cage?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
No, don't use the bulb. They can get too close, so you'd have to be careful, but it should be mounted soon.

wandigo

Original Poster
daner923":3o2nnyvu said:
No, don't use the bulb. They can get too close, so you'd have to be careful, but it should be mounted soon.

Hey. Appreciate the feedback. Are you saying I should use the long bulb that I just bought and mounted? Or stick with the smaller one that goes on top of the cage near the basking spot? Right now the long bulb and fixture has the exposed bulb because I have the plastic cover off of it. Should I put the cover back on, or just not use the fixture at all until I get a bigger cage? Thx.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom