First Fecal Test *on Ponazuril*

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Evergreen":192gcmwg said:
How in the world are you supposed to get a syringe into a lizards mouth?! I gave him. 05 ml and did drop by drop on his nose which he did lick up eventually but i was hoping id be able to just sneak up on him with his mouth open and squeeze it in quick.

I didn't realize how little .05 ml is, its crazy ti think that that tiny bit can do anything in just 2 days!

Also picked up a scale and he was 121grams, cant wait to fatten him up!

Edit: and I picked up some organic soy yogurp, thanks for letting me know about that because I would have just supplemented with more baths. Id post a pic of the meds and scale but my computer crashed :(

If you put the tip of the syringe in the side of their mouth, and gently pull the bottom lip down, then move the syringe to the front of their mouth, you can usually get them to open up :)

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Got his results for the detest and he still has very high counts of coccidia. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if it wasn't enough but they reccomend Albon which they already have set up for me... since I already have medication I'd rather use that but I feel bad ignoring their advise!k

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Try not to feel bad for not taking the vets suggestion. As humans we can only prescribe what we know of, and most vets will prescribe Albon :D I advise my vet on better techniques all the time, Thankfully my vet is grateful for the wealth of knowledge and will research on his own after my suggestions. Albon doesn't actually kill the coccidia, only inhibits the production of folic acid in the bacteria. (from what I understand)

How are you disinfecting the tank and how often? Coccodia can be very difficult to rid in reptiles.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I took everything out and steamed cleaned it. He poops in the bath 99% of the time but I still threw away the shelf liner and replaced it with paper towels for now. I cleaned his food bowl and bath with alochol and did all this twice

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Evergreen":2wgmoobn said:
I took everything out and steamed cleaned it. He poops in the bath 99% of the time but I still threw away the shelf liner and replaced it with paper towels for now. I cleaned his food bowl and bath with alochol and did all this twice

Ammonia is the only thing that will kill coccidia. Not bleach, alcohol, nothing..

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Dang, those are tough little buggers! Im off to go pick up some crickets since all my duiba seem to have evaporated, ill pick up some ammonia too.

I did more research on bacox vs albon and would really like to continue using the current medication. Its very possible that I didn't get the whole dose in him so what do you reccomend? Doing the same treatment of one dose for 2 days? Or just one more and retest?

Update 3/21: I did another round of treatment. .05cc for 2 days. I cleaned his tank and all his things (including bath which is the only place he poops) with ammonia. Unfortunately his fake rock structure broke when someone knocked it off the table so It'll be a couple days before I can get it back in his tank. I'm hoping to send off a sample to Cheryl in the next couple days but if not I'll bring one into the vet and see what they say. He's still growing and eating like a pig and was 14.25" and 138g today. He'll be 8 months in April :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom