First Day of Dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigg

Juvie Member
Thanks for the info! I will cut a Bigger hole tonight when I get home, I won't have any screen to cover it with but I don't think I have to worry about any other insects getting into the container this time of yeah, not over 1 night at least I will stop and get some more screen on tuesday night.

I have been replacing the chow each day so far, and I will leave the top off for a bit tonight.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I know, I asked a Burger King too but they said that their eggs came in boxes... LOL!!
:lol: How could you put eggs in a box without them all breaking? That is hillarious.

I don't think I have to worry about any other insects getting into the container this time of yeah, not over 1 night at least I will stop and get some more screen on tuesday night.
Yeah they can't climb at all, The only reason I have a lid on mine at all is because there are lots of kids running around my house and the bin could so easily get knocked over. (Even though they're supposed to stay out of my room because of the animals.)

Epic

Juvie Member
How sanitary is it to use egg flats that were actually used for eggs? I recently read an article that tested the bacteria level of raw foods. Egg shells are covered in salmonella!

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Epic":86589 said:
How sanitary is it to use egg flats that were actually used for eggs? I recently read an article that tested the bacteria level of raw foods. Egg shells are covered in salmonella!

The only flats that I ever use are clean ones. They (McD's) said that they had some that had an egg cracked in them and I said absolutely not. I only wanted ones that were "pristine" with no "goo" on them. I know many people here use egg flats from the grocery store and some people even use paper towel and toilet paper rolls...

Little D

Hatchling Member
Tigg":4342b said:
You mean McD's actually uses real eggs?!?! lol sorry I couldn't resist...

The only thing over my UTH is egg flats, For now I have been using wet paper towel for water sicne I cannot find the water crystals at my local pet shop, and a variety of fruits, and kitty kibble.

Vent is approx 3"x6" which I can easily make bigger if need be.

Do yourself a favour and order some water cyrstals from "Theroachguy". Order a 1 pound bag and you'll have enough to last you quite some time. I'm glad I ordered crystals from him because it sure makes things a lot easier.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Little D":9d002 said:
Tigg":9d002 said:
You mean McD's actually uses real eggs?!?! lol sorry I couldn't resist...

The only thing over my UTH is egg flats, For now I have been using wet paper towel for water sicne I cannot find the water crystals at my local pet shop, and a variety of fruits, and kitty kibble.

Vent is approx 3"x6" which I can easily make bigger if need be.

Do yourself a favour and order some water cyrstals from "Theroachguy". Order a 1 pound bag and you'll have enough to last you quite some time. I'm glad I ordered crystals from him because it sure makes things a lot easier.
yes it does and we are running a sale on the pound bags this mount as well. by the way how's things up north D

Epic

Juvie Member
hartungs":d20ab said:
Epic":d20ab said:

The only flats that I ever use are clean ones. They (McD's) said that they had some that had an egg cracked in them and I said absolutely not. I only wanted ones that were "pristine" with no "goo" on them. I know many people here use egg flats from the grocery store and some people even use paper towel and toilet paper rolls...

But, if they wee used for eggs at all, goo or no goo, they would still have had contact with the egg shells. :puke: Even if they look clean, technically they aren't? I'm sure it's a very rare possibility for a roach to catch salmonella from a used egg flat. Not saying you're wrong or anything, just throwing soem info out there!

Markus

I orderd some of these water crystals on the internet, Its called "solid water". They didn't come with any instructions or anything so do you have to add water to the crystals(if so how much water to how much crystals) or do you just put the crystals into the feeders housing? Heres a pic of them.
100_0601.jpg

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Markus,

I researched this on the forum and came up with the following ratio:

1/2 tsp. to 1 1/3 cup water

This is just what I use and will last me about a week or so. Just let it sit for a couple of hours to fully hydrate and then drain out the excess water.

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
One ounce of crystals makes 1 gallon of water. Those bags are one ounce, fill up a bucket/tupperware with a ballon of water and a packet of crystals and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes. Keep the container sealed so they dont dry out. A crystal can actually last something like 5 years. So if you keep them clean and dont get food/chow all over them then you can just reuse them.

Epic

Juvie Member
scalesandtales":1a531 said:
One ounce of crystals makes 1 gallon of water. Those bags are one ounce, fill up a bucket/tupperware with a ballon of water and a packet of crystals and let it sit for like 15-20 minutes. Keep the container sealed so they dont dry out. A crystal can actually last something like 5 years. So if you keep them clean and dont get food/chow all over them then you can just reuse them.

Are you talking about crystals that were already in the roach bin? Just add water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom