Finally got my first Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

libby

Hi to all,
My name is bill I use Libby cause thats my beardie's name. She was gift to me from my family. I have wanted on for several yrs now. We got her from a young lady and her son who felt they were not the right people to give her a good home.But i did keep the name the boy(7yrs old) gave her.He was very happy with that. so I will post some pics of her soon. So far she is adapting very well,is real friendly, and seems to be eating very well.She is young a little under a year.I have been doing alot of research on her.But as with all beginners any and all tips and words of advice will be greatly appreciated. :blob8:

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Hello and welcome to the site :wave:
What kind of lights do you have? She needs both a heat lamp and a uv light, but coiled uv lights arn't good.

libby

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcoming,
I have 3 lights day, basking and night light.Not sure how much to use basking light. Read several opinions on it. And i do dust my crickets and feed them the calciun food too.Whats the best alternative to the cpf"coiled" light?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Welcome! I use my basking light about 12 hours a day but anywhere from 10-14 is fine. Whenever the basking light is on, your UVB light should be on. The best UVB light in the states is the reptisun 10.0 (make sure you get the sun, not the glo). Best price here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html. As for the night light, I really wouldn't use it as it can disturb their sleep (think how much better you sleep when it's dark). If temps drop below 65 degrees at night, you will need a ceramic heat emitter. Otherwise, no heat is necessary.

PS... what are your temps (basking and cool side) and how do you measure them (digital with probe, heat gun, or stick on?)

libby

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Temp in my house better not get below 65. or I got a problem.lol I use an infared gun. Temp is about 75 on cool side and about 105 on rock in basking area. I will check out the bulb you mentioned.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
libby":2a8uh5c6 said:
Thanks for the info. Temp in my house better not get below 65. or I got a problem.lol I use an infared gun. Temp is about 75 on cool side and about 105 on rock in basking area. I will check out the bulb you mentioned.

Sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom