Finally Building my own Viv - Sort of (56k warning PICS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waketek516

So my little guy isn't so little anymore - ~3.5 months old - 14" and growing fast! :eek:
DSC02251.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

I decided it's time to start building his new viv where he'll have lots more room and better scenery! Originally I thought about building my own cage, but the local pet store had a clearance sale on a 40G tank for a very good deal. I decided I could modify it to my liking, and save myself some effort.

I started by getting all the foam I needed for a background and rock structure. I started building it in the cage so I knew exactly how much room I'd have to work with:
Wall & platform
DSC05420.jpg

What will be a large cave:
DSC05418.jpg

DSC05423.jpg

Top View:
DSC05416.jpg

Next was making a new top - I wanted all my fixtures to be inside the tank for a cleaner look than everything sitting on top of the screen that came with it. I don't have many pictures of the build process of this, but it's basically a 38x18" sheet of 1/2" plywood with a 14x8" screened hatch for ventilation and access for feeding. I used a dual fixture from home depot for the heat lights, and a 24" dual T8 fluorescent fixture for my 24" Reptisun UVB & regular viewing light:
DSC05426.jpg

DSC05427.jpg

DSC05425.jpg

I decided to cut the wall in half to make removal for cleaning a little easier, and started my first layers of grout:
rock1.jpg

rock2.jpg

So far everything is going very well! - I'll have another update tonight when I get home from work, and start adding some paint detail on the background and rocks! :blob8:

Bellalee

Juvie Member
That looks great with everything. I really like that double fixture idea.. my tank could use a little extra light.. why didn't we think of that!

Good luck! Love your little one and the pictures. :D

Waketek516

Original Poster
More updates!

Lighter color Acrylics:
DSC02270.jpg

DSC02271.jpg

DSC02272.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

Burning in the lights:
DSC02277.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

DSC02279.jpg

Sealing it up with 5-layers of sealer:
DSC02286.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Thats really awesome what were the materials you used? I might try and be creative with that if I can learn the materials you used. Is a 40 gallon a good size or a beardie? I thought a 55 or larger was ideal? I can't wait to start working and desgning my tank! I might just steal your set up haha.

Waketek516

Original Poster
Rukia1988":3n8nb4p9 said:
Thats really awesome what were the materials you used? I might try and be creative with that if I can learn the materials you used. Is a 40 gallon a good size or a beardie? I thought a 55 or larger was ideal? I can't wait to start working and desgning my tank! I might just steal your set up haha.

Its just a large sheet of Styrofoam for the back, miscellaneous pieces for the ramp/platform, and about 2 cans worth of spray foam to do the texture on the background, the cave, and the detail edges on the platform.

The rest was just a pet-store 40G reptile tank, a TV stand from a local discount store that I got for $39, and the usual pet store decorations for the tank. I originally had repti carpet in there with some tile. However, gettin the carpet out of there each time to clean it was a pain in the butt. I've since switched to a full tile substrate & added some vines & plants from the local craft store:

DSC02427.jpg

DSC02428.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

DSC02434.jpg

DSC02438.jpg

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
I really like the set up and I am considering using it. I want a cage though that I can get to him from the front and not mess with the lights on top of the cage or when taking him out having Pip be so close to the lights. I think I may take the styrofoam idea and do that but get a cage that I can open in the front. I am thinking about asking my friend to build me a cage thats 48L X 24H X 24W

I want it to be large because I dunno gives him lots of space. I might bring it down to 4 feet because that seems to be the standard on this forum. We will see.

Waketek516

Original Poster
Manwitdragon":3s0ppcdn said:
I'm ganna do something like that and I'm just wondering what stuff do i need to do that? :?:

Did you read the post at all? :?: :?: :?: :?:

I listed everything I used 3 posts up :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom