Few problems with my Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Lets start off with all the basics. (lighting, temps and whatnot) I keep my beardie in a 48L X 20W custom enclosure. Substrate is a cheap bit of stick on tiles until I can afford him better ones. (Before he always had newspaper) Lighting is a ReptiSun 10.0 18" strip at approx 8inch from his basking spot which hovers around 98 degrees. Cool side typically ranged from 84-90 depending on room temps. (Sadly I always struggled with keeping an even room temp.) Feeder is currently Hornworms and his salad consists of Collards, mustards and sometimes Kale. His Dietary suppliment is currently "Critical Care" which was prescribed by his Vet. (Prior with Calcium+D3 and Mutivitamin) His waking hours are from 7am to 5pm like clockwork. He'll usually spend an hour to two at the extreme daily for run around and cuddle time. Vitti is one day shy of being two years old. He is 25 1/4 inches long and a tad thin right now.

The first order of business is not so much of a problem perhaps as it is a lack of personal experience. That being the whole, 'Is he brumating or is he ill?" dispute. What I can tell you is he spends most of his days tucked in his hide spot in the corner. He does not come out to bask or eat. However he is not asleep I can see him sitting there kinda staring off into space. If I talk to him he'll snap out of it and look at me. If I hold him he'll look around, react to noises and even jump to the floor soo he can run to his favorite window. He'll eat his Hornworms, usually one or two in a day. He won't even touch his veggies (more on that later) when I put him back in his tank he'll sit under his lamp for a few then snuggle back into his corner. This has been going on for about a month now and I've been closely monitoring him to make sure his situation hasn't declined but its remained the same. IE the same lazy snuggling in the corner, staring into space during the day and sleeping at night. I suspect it may be partial brumation but I'd like y'alls opinion just to be sure.

The second problem is that he will not really bother with his veggies. I offer him fresh, veggies that I tear by hand every single day. They typically consist of Collards and Mustard greens with the odd Kale thrown in when I can bother to buy it. (Sometimes only Collards it depends on what is fresh when I buy them) I thought now that he is grown he'd not be so dependent on live food and move on to eating a lot of veggies but this is sadly not the case. He'll take a single bite maybe twice a week. I"ve tried putting worms in the Salad to get him interested. I've tried cutting it up in bigger and smaller sizes. No help at all. The vet had prescribed Critical Care for Herbivores saying that it may help him desire to eat veggies more. (Or at the very least give him nutrients) There is no water source in his viv and the only moisture he gets if from his worms really. (Well and baths) No matter what I do I cannot get him to eat his veggies. I'm not sure what to do anymore both me and the vet are stumped.

Small note related to eating is he is not a big eater. As I mentioned earlier he'll eat like 2 almost fully grown hornworms in a day. Before when I had roaches he'd eat only a handful, IE two to five, daily. I'm not really sure how to get him to eat more because he absolutely will not have it.

Last but not least is his pooping habits, or lack thereof. He will poop like once a week in his bath, sometimes once every two weeks. It has been like this for a year at least. He will not poop outside of his bath and I cannot get him to poop more. I took him to the vet at least ten times. It was discovered he had pinworms so we took care of that and hoped it would change. It did not. We started him on critical care and it did not help at all. I've tried different feeders, rubbing his belly, different bath frequencies and temps (Cooler to warmer never hot or cold) and tried giving him more and less run around time. Its bothered me for so long and nothing me or his vet does seems to help him at all.

I just want my Vitti to be happy and healthy but it seems to always be a struggle to get even his basic needs of eating and pooping down. Despite it all, prior to this laziness stint, he was quite the active beardie. He'd run, jump and beard his way all around my room. Even now he'll still run around a bit, usually straight to the window and act alert while I'm handling him. I don't know what else to do so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if its a lot to read, I wanted to make sure I got in as much detail as I could think of.

spike5

Hi-
Sorry to hear Vitto is not so happy so to speak. I'm not one of the experienced owners on this site...our beardie, Spike, is yet to be one years old. However, he too is acting similar to Vitto which is why I was reading your post. I do know that one of Spikes issues is calcium. We are in New York state so it is cold and he does not get outside. I have tried hard to keep his calcium intake sufficient, including repti-worms but he is barely eating now. Active one day, hiding in the corner like Vitto the next. Interesting though, that when he is out of his viv he seems the happiest...as Vitto running to the window. Wonder if they really just want to hang out, outside of their viv? Anyway, not much advice though checking on the calcium is crucial...seems like your lighting is up to par so I's be curious to see who else has some better thoughts / ideas.

Best of luck!

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vitti does seem happiest when he is out of his tank. I used to give him Calcium and multivitamin quite often, IE 5 days a week for the Calcium and twice for the vitamins. Now he gets mostly Critical Care. I was weary to do both. I plan on taking him to the vet again once I get either my unemployment or my income tax. (Sadly I lost my job right before Christmas)

I was going to share a photo

3fc93dd8.png

This photo was taken on Dec 18th of 2011 right before I got his new viv from Dragons4you. Week or so after getting his new tank he started this laziness. I've considered they may be related but can't understand why. The other problems preceded this habitat change. But as you can see hes bright and cheery. (Well as bright and cheery as I could catch him as. Cameras really seem to anger him.) He doesn't look ill and was active as can be despite the problems.

Maybe I'll drop the Critical Care and go back to Calcium and Vitamins. Its like hoping for a miracle but never getting it.

spike5

So true-it's all so tricky. Very sorry to hear about your job...that's not an easy situation. My best to you in finding new work. I'm sure all you are doing for you Vitti (got it now) is right on track. They do get "relocation stress" and have to adjust. When we put Spike in his bigger viv he just sat and looked at it for weeks trying to figure out what was different. They are very smart! Keep on top of the regular calcium & vitamins and take him out for socialization as much as you can...hopefully all will be well! GREAT pic-understand the camera stuff...their true colors rarely seem to show. Can see he has lots of golden hues-very good looking!

Best to you!

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Have you tried.to hand feed him his greens? My girl willnot eat them unless i handfeed them.to her. Also, try dropping them.in like you would do for a hornworm, may help. Unless im hand feeding them to her or looking like a dork using tweezers to make them "move and hop" like her bugs, she looks at themm like what am i supposed to do with them? Lol. Another idea is to mix some worms withem them, ive founf reptiworms work best, or wax wormz, but with only being able to.do.that once in a while becausebhow fatty they are, i like the reptiworms. And they cant climb out of the bowl :) any type of movemeny catches mines attention. Just add less and less everyday until hopefully shes.eating just greens. You could also try freeze dried crickets or choppes up supers, but then.you dont get the "movement". Still may help.tho. have you tried mixing like red or yellow bell pepper, squash, blackberries or another berry, mamgo, papaya or something of color? Color also catches their attention and they LOVE blackberries. Im assuming youve had a fecal done because you mentioned him being at the vet, so i would try what i listed. I know.my girl had coccidia and pinworms and showed NO signs at all, and i came to
find out thats why her appetite was so little. Shehad them since i got her, so i just
thought she just had a small appetite and.then realized i was sadly mistaken. Lol.
try it and one of them may just be your answer :) i also know that they make abspray that you spray on their veggies for beardies like ours that tbe small is supposed to attract themm to their greens. Im not sure who makes it though, but i believe they sell it on petmountain.com

Look at www.beautifuldragona.com/nutrition and try switching it up amd see if she cinds a veg she loves.

Good luck to you amd you finicky eater :) i feel your pain lol!

ry the little.tips i said and let me know if any of them eork :)

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Spike - Thank you I've always loved his happy colors. Sometimes I swear he must be embarrassed of them because anytime I try to show others he darkens up. I definitely plan to start him back up on his normal Calcium/Vitamin supplements. Maybe they will spring him back to life. As for relocation stress he better get over it lol. I've spent a ton of money on his new enclosure, building new furniture ect.

Dalton - While to an extent Vitti does respond favorably to me hand feeding him, (Or interacting with him in anyway) He still won't eat his veggies no matter what. Odd because he'll only eat his live feeders if I hand feed him. I did try and put the worms in his veggies and have tried Raspberries and such as well. Hes a very stubborn eater just like his pet human. Hes avoided making any solution I try to find for him an easy one, little brat. I've been through tons of feeders as well just trying to mix it up. Crickets, Roaches, Pheonix worms, Supers, Horn ect ect. I may try the berries again as it has been quite a while since I have tried it. The first time I think he was actually scared of them. lol

I have done fecals for him every single time I've been to the vet. He did have pinworms at one point but we treated them and he was clear for the last few fecals. I will definitely have him tested again to be sure. Though even after he was treated his appetite did not change.

Overall I appreciate the suggestions, maybe somewhere in there I can find something that at least makes some kind of progress. I've thrown away more veggies then I can remember.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
K, so youve tried all my suggestions except the spray, soooo maybe its the answer to your prayers:) (we could only hope, right?!) Lol, i just know i was willing to try ANYTHING, at one point i even put crickets, roaches, butterowrms siclnce i hear their attracted to their smell (have you tried these in greens? Lol) and a wax worm or 2 in the blender and made a slushie to see if he liked that consistancy, and he did actually really like it and ate alot of it, but after a few months that was too much of a hassle. Do you dust veggies with calcium? If you do, try not doing it, and if you dont try to because alot of beardies (mine included) are attracted to white. Mine will go around her cage after her dusted buggies ans literally lick up every calcium crumb thats around. She even licks up the little bit of just dust that fell off them. Also have you tried putting them in a food processor or and realllllly chopping them? (Trying to think of anything that may help because i know the frustration!!) Cant hurt to try :) or not tearing them at all? Well, if needed, small enough to fit in the bowl! lol

And PS sorry for the 1374580 typos, i just got a tablet and am not used to typing on it yet, as ive been spoiled by auto correct/spell check for some time!! lol

Good luck i hope something works!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom