few cricket questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaFe

Hey,ive read about the gut loading phase when keeping crickets for the beardie,but what do you do with your crickets for storage?Where i can buy them from,there in the plastic containers you get your chinese take aways in but where do you store them and in what conditions,if i keep them in my room along with the beardie and its home,surely the crickets will be making there noises all night and day? Call me a softy but i wouldnt be able to sleep listening to crickets every night lol so im looking for another solution of how and where to keep them.
Also when you take one out to feed the dragon,do the rest try to escape there holder?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Most people use a rubber maid or sterlite 18 gal container, with the middle of the lid cut out, and metal covered screen glued in. This is for ventilation. Also, if you use the paper towel or toilet paper rolls ( once product is gone) the crix hide in that, so all you have to do is pluck one of those out, and shake what is needed into a baggie with a pinch of which ever supplement you are using.

Gut loading is quite simple. For my feeders, I offer the ends of the veggies I feed the dragons, and for a water source, 1/2 an orange. You can also use a preproduced crix chow as the staple.

Does that help ?
Janie.

NaFe

Original Poster
Heay , yeah mostly made sense ,cheers...what did you mean by .. you can use preproduced crix chow as a staple?

fkalb

Hatchling Member
You can buy 'cricket food' from pet stores. Normally comes in like a gel. It provides water and food for the crickets, I would still put a piece of fruit in for them to eat too. I mainly use slices of apple. Grind up dog or cat food and put it in a little container aswell

NaFe

Original Poster
thanks,ive seen that gel,wasnt sure what it was,could i alternate between crickets and the gel if the beardie will take to the different diets?

As for the noise, I usually move my crickets into my closet at night so I can't hear them chirping. Also, they only chirp once they grow their wings. So if you're buying small crickets they will be silent. Only once they're full grown will they start chirping all day and night. Just in case you didn't know (I didn't know when I first started getting crickets) they cannot fly! Their wings are what they use to chirp so you don't have to worry about them flying around

NaFe

Original Poster
haha oh yes sorry,got confused there... ive got you now... ah thanks for that,learn something new everyday.No problems then in keeping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom