Female trying to breed with another female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannah233

I am pretty sure both of my beardies are females. The one that is trying to breed with the other one was bought from a guy who said it was a male, but when I checked I only see one bump at the vent and he/she doesn't have any femoral pores. They never tried breeding or anything so I figured the guy must've been mistaken and it was a female, but just now it mounted the other female and bit her neck. They didn't actually breed, he/she just mounted her.

Is there a better, more accurate way to sex your dragon for sure besides taking it to a vet/professional?

Could her "mating" or mounting and biting the other one just be a show of dominance?

hannah233

Original Poster
Here are some photo's to show his/her gender.
I also took an overhead photo to show that it has the body kind of like a male (hence the wider head and fat tail) and a photo to show how he/she has no femoral pores.

DSCN4306_zps815f18c0.jpg

DSCN4309_zps8b57bccf.jpg

DSCN4310_zps37406223.jpg

DSCN4311_zps4a6e0957.jpg

DSCN4312_zps543647f6.jpg

hannah233

Original Poster
Could her mounting the other one just be her trying to show she's dominant or something then? She's also been head bobbing at the other one, but again she's never actually mated/I've never seen the hemipenis so I can't be sure.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
They shouldn't be housed together. Beardie aren't soical animals they are indepent. I would try to get the other tank setup as soon as possible.

RuselBro

Juvie Member
LaughingBuddha":a23nzz59 said:
My 2 rabbits were lesbians. I wouldn't worry about it Lol...........Unless it turns aggressive.

Biting the back of the other's neck is aggressive. 2 beardie's should never be housed together, it doesn't matter if they are both female or not.

Also from the pic's, in some picture's it look's to be female, but in another picture it look's to be male. Could you take a few more picture that are a little brighter please.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
I read the title of the thread and only half the first post. That is why I wrote its ol unless it's agressive. I thought it was common knowledge not to house them together.

hannah233

Original Poster
I know you're not usually supposed to house them together, but it can be done depending on the specific dragons personalities. They have never fought or hurt each other, it's just the occasional show of dominance that confused me because I was told one was a male so I thought they were trying to mate.

I wouldn't be housing them together under any other circumstances but our other tank isn't at our house yet, and they get along so it's not a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom