feeding worms, how many

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so with crix I let him eat a lot for 10 minutes. But now that he's getting some worms (supers and wax), how do I know he's getting enough? Or not too many. He gets 4 worms in the morning then crix in the after noon, he's about 8 mos old.

Seven65

Juvie Member
Just in general feed him 2-3 times a day 10-15 min at a time. Go easy ont he wax worms, they're very high in fat and your beardie may want to eat them instead of nutritious food.

momof2boys

Original Poster
Okay, if I let him eat as many worms as he wanted in 10 minutes he'd eat like, probably 30 supers!!!
He gets wax worms because he's a bit scrawny. Of course he eats about a half cup of salad/veg/fruit a day too. I give him enough veg so that there's always some left in the plate at the end of the day, then Iknow he got enough.

SO just however many he wants in 10 minutes? This worries me. What about all the chitlin in the supers? if he eats a ton will it be harder for him to digest (or gidest as my 4 year old says!)

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Supers should not be a staple! The chitlin in them are softer then the meal worms but it is a little harder for them to digest! However if you can find supers that just molted that would be much better!! Fill him up on salads and crickets and use the worms as treats or a few for after dinner!! There are also other staple bugs you can use.Some people use them as staples although I myself do not!! Better to be safe then sorry.. Hope this helps......

Seven65

Juvie Member
I beg to differ about the supers. In my opinion they can be used as staples as long as you ease your dragon into them and monitor how well they are digested. ie regular bowel movements and no undigested supers in poop.

momof2boys

Original Poster
Lance, what's your favorite worm for an 8 month old?

He does need wax worms as he needs to fatten up. But just a few. What other worms? I hate crix so I do try to minimize them. What do you think?

Seven65

Juvie Member
It's not really a matter of age so much as it's a matter of size. You shouldn't feed your dragon supers if he's under 15-16" that's about when the kink in their digestive tract straightens out. As for other nutritious worms; there are phoenix worms, butter worms, silk worms, and horn worms (not sure about the sizing for horn worms though).

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Like Seven65 said, there are phoenix worms, butter worms, silk worms, and horn worms. I prefer phoenix worms, horn worms and silk worms. And They also get crickets! But then again it all depends what your lil guy likes! I have bred many of babies and that's what I feed them.. Also you can feed them Dubai roaches or Turks! I do no that there are people on here that use the supers as staples and im not going to judge them! I just prefer not to! But I do give one of my guys them all the time :p Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom