Feeding the hatchlings!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slug

Hi everyone,
We currently have 19 good eggs in the incubator which are due to hatch around the end of June (and I think she's gravid again). I've bred corn snakes before and feeding the babies wasn't too much of a problem. However, I'm starting to worry about feeding the little beardies when they hatch. Am i right in thinking they eat between 30 and 80 small crickets a day? If this is the case, looking after the little ones for 6 weeks will total between 24 thousand and 64 thousand crickets!!
I'm not breeding Miss-T to make a tidy profit, but at the same time don't really want to be left out of pocket as, like most people nowadays, we are strapped for cash!
All advice is very welcome, but I'm looking for some advice off someone from the UK who could perhaps suggest retailers to buy the crickets and so on.
How do I go about keeping the crickets, gut-loading, dusting, greens, feeding each beardie etc etc... :shock: *panic*
Thanks

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Unfortunately this is why people should do serious research before jumping into breeding. Yes babies can eat up to 100 crickets per day, per baby. The financial reasoning is exactly why I decided not to do it. Plus tanks for each set of 5 babies, and lighting etc all added up to way too much for a lower income house hold.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
I can tell you they will eat and eat and eat...

And just when you though they couldn't eat again... they poop and eat some more :) You will be going through 1000 2 week old crix a week for the first month. It gets better the bigger the babies get, they can eat bigger food ya know.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Well... my first thoughts are :laughhard: I am glad to hatched out myself.

But seriously, your primary concern should be to keep the babies hydrated enough to digest their food.
I find most babies will take a few days before they get hungry (some eat right out of the egg), but it is important to have some chopped greens available (collards) at all times and a small moving feeder. They will eat 1-2 week crickets very soon. I don't bother with pinheads, they always seem ridiculous to me.
Anyway, dusted feeders 3-4 times a day, and mist them with water 2-3 times a day.

We went through 2-3 thousand 2 week crickets per week for 3 months. With one female breeding, I would estimate 1k every 10 days will be an average over the breeding cycle. As they start to consume crazy numbers of crickets, I increase the size of the cricket and strike a balance where I can feed them the same amount each week. As you get multiple clutches you'll need different sizes.

Anyway, you'll get the hang of it. Just don't run out of feeders, and don't forget the greens, some will love them.

Good luck

Jeff

mikestra

I am wondering if fruit flies would be a viable food source for hatchlings. I culture them for my dart frogs and fed them to my beardie occasionally when I first got him. They reproduce crazy fast and are certainly cheaper than crickets.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I agree with tom as well!!! Just find a good online breeder they are much cheaper!!!!!!!!! Unless you decide on breeding crickets yourself!! Well good luck and let us know how you make out!!!

Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom