Feeding Schedule for Adult Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo15

Hey, so, I kind of for a little while just fed my beardie, Apollo, whenever he was hungry. It worked because he often would not want any food and then eat a whole bunch on one day. But, now I want to get him onto a schedule so that both me and him know when he is going to eat. So, what are your feeding schedules for your adult beardies?? :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I feed every day whether they eat or not -- mine dont eat everyday either but food is offered every morning - salads every day and insects every other - worms are offered in the salads maybe 1-2 hornworms and 1-3 super worms - butter worms if I have them etc
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Here's Guac's current schedule:

Guacamole gets a salad almost every day. I say "almost" because with my work schedule, I frequently end up skipping Sunday - though hopefully this won't happen as often since I've asked my girlfriend to start checking the animals on that day and feed/spot-clean. I also am on a 2-week shopping schedule due to the pandemic, and my greens often go off around day ~12, so I usually have 1-3 days where I can't offer him a full salad (though I usually have some beardie-safe plant matter, just not greens necessarily).

Every salad has 1-3 types of green in it, usually a mix of dandelion and collard, but I will also use turnip greens, endive, bok choy, etc. Lately I've been adding various herbs since it's growing season near me and I joined a community garden that has a huge overgrowth of oregano, parsley, basil, and a bunch of other beardie-safe plants. I wash, chop, and store these the day or the day after I buy them to make my mornings easier - just dump out the old salad, wash the bowl if needed, and add fresh salad before going to work.

The salads are additionally garnished with beardie-safe vegetable scraps from making dinner the night before (peppers, cucumbers, squash [both winter and summer], okra, etc, whatever I'm eating that won't hurt him). I would say 4-5/7 days he has vegetable scraps to top his salad.

Almost daily he gets offered some small amount of fruit when I interact with him, often various berries, banana, apple, peaches, watermelon, pitted cherry... Again, whatever I am eating that won't hurt him. Only in moderation, though, as given free reign over a package of blueberries he'd eat enough to pop.

Regarding the fruits and vegetables, I do try to keep in mind how often I'm eating something versus how often he should eat something. For instance, I eat tomatoes almost daily right now, but I avoid giving many to him since they're a fine, but less than ideal food source.

Whenever I need to feed my other animals feeders suitable for him, I prepare enough for him to have some too. This translates to roughly every-other day, since my only other comparably sized animals are a leopard gecko, tokay gecko, and a tiger salamander, all three of which are fed live food 2-4 times a week. I mostly feed dubia roaches, but will also feed crickets, hornworms, waxworms, and occasionally mealworms and superworms (they're very easy to maintain compared to most feeders). I want to try breeding silkworms, but I can't find anywhere where they're in stock now that I've located a few mulberry trees in my area. I generally find BSFL to be too big a pain to deal with regularly, but I will specifically buy them in bulk once every couple months to feed everyone BSFLs.

At the end of my shopping cycle, when I am out of fresh leafy greens I offer a mix of fresh fruits and vegetables along with pelleted and/or gel diets. This usually is offered 2-3 days a month, so is a regular but rare part of his diet. On these days, he usually get extra large servings of bugs to compensate, despite the fact that he seems to quite like the pelleted and gel diets I currently have.

Guacemole is ravenous and definitely eats every day. He hoovers up feeders and fruit with particular enthusiasm, which is why I offer salad first thing in the morning, fruit only in controlled quantities, and feeders at the end of the day (~2-4 hours before his light goes off).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom