feeding my beardies??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have adotped 2 beardies about 6 or so months ago. One male and one female. They have gotten so very spoiled and fat ( the male at least ) since we have gotten them. I recently found out that crickets & veggies are to be the just of their diets. They are about 1.5 to 2. years old. Don't know exactly but will find out tuesday when I take both of them to the vet for a checkup. The male hasn't been to the bathroom in quite some time. I am worried...If he wont eat lettuce with olive oil....what should I do until I can get him to the vet for x-rays? or should i not feed him at all since probable impaction? I have been giving plenty of warm baths and tummy rubs and nothing has worked the last week. Tuesday will be 2 weeks. He seems to still want to eat ( superworms only )....Should I put one in some olive oil and feed him one or two?? i feel horrible because at petsmart / petco, they don't tell you the harms in the diet...other than not to feed them household insects...which we have NEVER. Once they realized that we would hand feed them nice juicy superworms, they quit chasing crickets and expected to be hand fed...which has been fine because of the worry of them digesting some substrate creating impaction. Which we were creating without knowledge feeding them SPINICH dusted with calcium....FROM WHAT I READ ON HERE IS A BIG "NO-NO"!!
Please suggest a nutrious diet for my babies....Our local pet store said lettuce, spinach, fruits & veggies....which is a very wide range of things and over the past few months... I have read so many different things about what "to" and what "not to" feed them. I AM CONFUSED!

THANK YOU
TAMMY

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
No spinach, and no lettuce. Here is a good nutritional page that supplies all the information you need for their diets.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
As for the male who hasn't pooped, has he been trying to hide from the light in his enclosure? Sleeping longer? More often? Have you read about brumation?
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/
If you don't think it is brumation, try to let him run around, exorcise is a good remedy for mild impaction. Mind answering some details of his enclosure?

How old is your dragon?
How long is your dragon from nose tip to tail tip?
Enclosure Size?
Substrate?
UV source type/brand?
How old is the UV source?
How close can your dragon get to the UV source?
What is the basking temperature?
What is the cool side temperature?
How are you measuring the temperatures?
What are the humidity levels?
What live feeders do you feed?
How small/large are they?
What greens are being fed/provided?
Do you dust the food?
If so what is you dusting schedule?
Do you provide water?
Do you bathe your dragon?
If so how often and for how long?
Do you mist your dragon?

Any other information you wish to provide?

Any of the questions asked that are duplicates of your original post either just don't answer them or do no biggie. I just have this saved so I can copy and paste. :wink:

TAMMYBRANTLEY

Original Poster
THANK YOU!! I HAVE SINCE READ ABOUT BRUMATION...I HAD NO IDEA,,, I DID TAKE BOTH OF THEM IN TO THE DOC TODAY..... FIRST TIME SINCE I HAVE OWNED THEM...ALOT OF MONEY TO SAY; "THEY ARE HEALTHY AND WELL TAKEN CARE OF"...if we would of known that, hell; we would of saved afew bucks!!!! LIKE 260.00 for both of em...GEESH..wrong occupation i guess. I thought the lack of appetite and sleepiness was an ailment.......EXPENSIVE LESSON TO LEARN....but at least I know they are well.. and just ready to "NAP"..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom