Feeding in Separate enclosure issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my beardie Kili has a pretty decked out enclosure, which makes it easy for crickets to hide and also unrealistic for me to always take the objects out to prevent this. To mediate this situation I decided to start feeding him crickets in a plastic bin I have. This method seems to be popular and highly recommended. However, no matter how hungry he is and how many crickets are around him, he will not eat in the bin. The second I drop him back in his tank with a cricket, he sprints 6 feet to get it. Any opinions at why he refuses to eat in a separate bin.

Thanks

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Some dragons just dont like it.... mine wouldnt eat outside her viv at all. I would suggest taking out a few things and feeding her in her viv. As long as you drop the crickets in one or two at a time... she should get them all.

We had this problem and then switched him to Hoppers instead, he loves Hoppers now, he won't touch crickets if we try him on them, and Hoppers don't hide in his viv.

We used to feed him in a separate tank which he was fine with but he has grown out of the tank now.

ROOandKELLY

Hatchling Member
My baby doesn't have a problem with feeding in either tank, I did notice however that when I fed her in the separate tank, if I didn't have something rough for her to walk on (instead of just the smooth bottom like on a bin) she wouldn't eat either, I put a towel down first but the crickets would hide in it, so I went to lowes and just bought a simple little carpet to fit in the bottom. now she scurries all around in there and chomp chomp chomps away hahaha

Try that if you don't already have something on the bottom of the bin. him may just not like the smooth surface.

Durke

You could try feeding your beardie on the floor outside of the cage. Mine wouldn't eat in her bin either, but when I began to feed her on the living room floor, she was fine.

icelore

Juvie Member
Durke":2196jorz said:
You could try feeding your beardie on the floor outside of the cage. Mine wouldn't eat in her bin either, but when I began to feed her on the living room floor, she was fine.

How did you keep the bugs from running away? D:

Heayther

Ericthedragon":dv83yd6u said:
We had this problem and then switched him to Hoppers instead, he loves Hoppers now, he won't touch crickets if we try him on them, and Hoppers don't hide in his viv.

We used to feed him in a separate tank which he was fine with but he has grown out of the tank now.

What are hoppers? We just moved our two baby's, Disel and Roush, to their new home made viv's and one Disel is being vey mean and not eating well at all. I feed crickets, but I've noticed cricket poo all over the Disels salad dish in the morning. Disel wont go after them like he used to. I need to find a place to get some type of worm so I can watch and make sure he's eating it. Not to mention...the crickets are getting out somewhere :banghead: and if I have to vacuum up another 5 from my kitchen and bathroom floor, I'll lose my mind.
I've been removing the crickets when the lights go out and they come out of hiding.
I need to know what worms I can feed as a staple food instead of crickets.

Heayther":1gsnfxeu said:
Ericthedragon":1gsnfxeu said:

What are hoppers? We just moved our two baby's, Disel and Roush, to their new home made viv's and one Disel is being vey mean and not eating well at all. I feed crickets, but I've noticed cricket poo all over the Disels salad dish in the morning. Disel wont go after them like he used to. I need to find a place to get some type of worm so I can watch and make sure he's eating it. Not to mention...the crickets are getting out somewhere :banghead: and if I have to vacuum up another 5 from my kitchen and bathroom floor, I'll lose my mind.
I've been removing the crickets when the lights go out and they come out of hiding.
I need to know what worms I can feed as a staple food instead of crickets.

Hoppers i believe are grass hoppers. supposed to great feeders for our beardies, but illegal in the US :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom