FEEDING HELP!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danfoxh

Hello all.

Big problem. I have a 9 month old beardie, who was raised exclusively on crickets and turnip and mustard greens. He ate heathily. Now he won't eat anything except for a small portion of greens. There are some inputs to this equation that are important.

Inputs:
A) The pet store (which is a family owned store with owners I completely trust, I have gone there for 12 years) said that giving my beardie mealworms as a treat every few days makes them happy.
B) I changed his diet to be crickets crickets mealworms etc. In addition to greens every day (which he ate).
C) There was about 4 day's that I was out of crickets, and all the stores in the area were too, so he ate Mealworms and greens exclusively for those 5 days.
D) I orgionaly had him in a 30 gallon tank, knowing that I would have to upgrade the tank. Shortly after changing tanks he refuses to eat crickets. Well, he has only eaten 7 in the last 5 day's. He has been in the new tank for 8 day's now.

On the advise of the pet store, they said to stop feeding mealworms and only provide crickets and greens for a week. That he cannot survive well on mealworms alone, even though that appears as if that's what he wants.

I know I screwed up in several way's. Any ideas on how to fix it? it's obvious to me, that King Arthur prefers mealies over crickets, but I have read that that's a bad idea. Thoughts?

Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he may just be stressed out by the move, or going through a picky phase or irritated by an oncoming shed. Mealworms aren't very nutritious so I don't recommend them. If he prefers eating worms then I suggest PhoenixWorms or if he's over about 16'' long SuperWorms.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You've done nothing that can't be fixed. In addition to relocation stress as mentioned above, the King may have become spoiled and in need of a little tough love. I agree that meal worms should be removed from his diet until he will eat the crickets again, and then added back just as an occasional treat, if at all. As my dragons got about to the age of yours, they started to refuse crickets altogether. We went through a dubia roach period which they eventually stopped wanting, then on to supers when they got big enough. The supers seem to keep them happy, but should not be fed until a dragon is over 16" long. Mine do enjoy silkworms and butter worms when I can afford them, which is rarely. Providing a variety is important. I'm glad yours will eat greens. Mine refuse them.

danfoxh

Original Poster
No dice on the superworms. Tried them, he refuses to eat them at all. I have not looked into the other types of worms mentioned above I know I cannot get them here. I live in Tucson, Az. You would think with all regional wild reptiles that more options would be available!

Is it at all possible that he goes into a broomation (sp?) heading into our summer season? We hit normal temps of over 110 F. I have only read that that time period happens in the winter.

Also, mentioned above, he is starting a shed. He takes a good 5 weeks to shed. First the head. Then one leg at a time. His tail has been opaq for about a week now. Midsection shows no sign yet. When I bred my Ball and Burmese Pythons they were much easier in this respect. They turned white, within a week they slide out. they don't eat before, and chow down after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom