Feeding Hatchlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slug

Hi,
Our first clutch of fertile eggs have just started to hatch over the last couple of days. 7 out of 19 fully out and 2 more with their eggs slit.
I understand the babies may not have an appetite straight away, but I can't get any of them to eat. I have a small dish of finely chopped veg for them, which they aren't interested in. I keep trying to offer crickets to them also.
How am I meant to go about feeding them and how long should it be before I get worried? The first one hatched fully a little over a day ago and non of the fully hatched ones have their egg sack left.
I've tried having a little cricket on the end of my finger and trying to tempt each of them with it. I have also tried putting a box in front of them with 5 - 6 crickets in. No luck :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Stuart

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi Staurt,
It may take 5-7 days for a newly hatched beardies to start showing any real appitite. Still put greens in the bin and offer some crickets. As time goes on you will be tossing out less greens and finding no crickets. Hope this helps.

slug

Original Poster
Yes - brilliant thankyou. Am I just supposed to put a few crickets in the viv with the babies? If so, how many? If this is the case, there is one concern I have. I left one cricket running around this morning and it took to climbing on the babies and nibbling at them, causing them to jump away. Is this normal?

Sorry for all the questions - the help is very much appreciated!
Stuart

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
After they are done eating take out the left over crickets because if not they can hurt your babies!!! And this goes for adults as well! Good luck...

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
i wouldnt leave crickets in there long at all. More than a day or two. My friend put some in his cage for is little guy and it was a pin head when he put it in there and the cricket grew over a few days just enough that when the beardie ate it, it was to big and he dies:( So be careful

slug

Original Poster
Supervised feeding... Gotcha :wink:
Will keep offering at regular intervals and keep you updated as to when they start feeding! 8 hatched now with 1 slit its egg.
What's strange is the eggs were in two boxes. The 9 in the first have all hatched or slit their eggs, and the eggs in the other box are all unchanged... Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom