Feeding for one year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
I have been trying to research more into feeding and diet for a one year old beardie. When I first did the research all those months ago, I was told to feed one year olds once a day with insects (and a feeding of veggies everyday) until they reach 18 months. After that, they can eat every couple of days with the insects. I tried looking on different websites, but I couldn’t find just one answer. I’ve been told so many different things, like one year olds still need to eat 2-3 times a day(which seems too much!) , they only need a couple of large mealworms a day after being a year old, they don’t even need to eat but 2-3 times a week (they are still growing a lot at this point, I feel like this is too little!), etc..
I was planning on feeding him one live feeding per day with veggies in the morning, but after seeing this contradicting information, I wanted to double check to make sure this would be best.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
One year olds should be eating mainly veggies by now - offer him a salad EVERY DAY and feed insects 2-3 times per week - I offer my dragons both and feed worms in the salads like 1-3 super worms 1-2 horn worms and when I can get them butter worms and silk worms which are also a staple feeder --- if hes not eating his salads make sure your dusting the insects since we know he will eat them -- and dust them alternating the calcium and vitamins - that way you know hes getting his supplements -- so w/ the worms salad insects your giving him a balanced diet -- the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow really fast --- so if ordering only get small amounts -- like 12 - you can also feed meal worms my 2 wont eat them -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I recommend doing some reading at reptifiles.com. I remember wishing I had found that site from day 1 so I didn't have to weed through so much conflicting information. HTH.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is sometimes hard to get them switched over to a lower protein diet & more vegetation.
Some of them don't mind it but others don't deal with it as well.
For adults we usually recommend 40-50 insects weekly, on average of mixed variety. Of
course, nothing is set in stone but you can adjust his food accordingly so he maintains his
weight. He will continue to fill out & grow into his second year though.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom