Feeding and gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnisha

Juvie Member
I am getting that gardening itch as spring approaches....anyone who has a garden and grows for their dragons please give me advice. What is the best things to grow for them? Easy? What about pests? I don't want to use any unnatural chemicals or anything to keep them away, which I wouldn't anyway with my own kids eating as well! What do you use? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! I love to garden and have a nice set up small but still nice! I usually grow tomatoes and squash, zuchini, lettuces but thought this year I would add something that I can use for my newest kids!!! haha! Amazing how when you get these guys you start changing your thinking about things isn't it? Thanks in advance!

Gail

BD.org Addict
I like to grow turnip greens and collards but you can grow any greens your dragon likes. I generally do a 4 ft row of each variety but I end up having a lot of extra greens. I never use any pesticides or chemicals, I don't think dragons mind a bit of bug chew. If I need fertilizer then go organic, I like bat guano.
If your dragon doesn't like tougher greens, start a second batch once the first row is just about half way grown. You can grown a squash plant too if you have the room. Pick a nice hard variety and they will store well over winter.

warnisha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Do you ever freeze the greens? I had stocked up on some and tried freezing them yeah not so much luck!!!

Gail

BD.org Addict
I froze some years ago but it was too gross and the dragon wouldn't eat it. I've since learned that freezing removes vitamins and can lead to deficiencies, I don't feed any frozen foods.

I'm lucky that I know people I can give my excess greens to. I'm going to try and set up a indoor growing area this winter, probably will only grow baby greens but I should be able to keep them going all winter.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
We have some swiss chard ( i know they can only have ocassional), kale, mesculine, endive, mustard, dandilion all mixed in a small patch that gets limited sun so it doesn't get burned as most doesn't like really hot weather. As it gets picked and starts to die off we will replant then plant again in the fall.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
I grow collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens and kale all year round for my dragons. During them summer I grow other things for them outside, like squash, green beans etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom