FEEDERS AND PARASITES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
My BD has Giarda and Hookworm ... The vet is 90% sure it came from CRICKETS and I agree as he was fine on Phoneix Worms I got some bulk crickets in ... and now he is sick :evil:

My question is do other feeds like supers, phoneix worms and butterworms carry the same risk of passing parasites to your BD? or are they safer ... I refuse to give my guy any more stinking crickets!!! ... I have a colony of Dubia going ... but it will still be a few months before I feed out of it :(

Geoff22

Hatchling Member
Where did you get your bulk crickets from ?

ya crickets are pretty dirty, and ya you have to be careful where you order your bulk crickets from.

Another thing though, how many crickets did you order? YOu have to be careful how you store them also, you cant just put food and water in there and expect them to live for weeks. With bulk crickets your going to have to clean dead crickets out there at least once every two days...at least. And probably take a paper towel and try to sweep it out every few days. I used to order 500 at a time and every few days I would have a buncha dead crickets in there that would smell up the whole bin.

HOw big/old is your dragon ?

IF you can afford to feed him pheonix worms/butter worms by all means do so, they are awesome feeders....just get a little expensive.....but if that can keep ya going till your dubia take off

Supers are a awesome staple feeder, but rule of thumb for supers is the dragon has to be 16" ....something to do with the digestive system

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
my poor baby has everything just about and he's having to have loads of medication to sort him out

I am absolutely certain the parasites came in on a bulk load of crickets as it was a couple of weeks after I started to feed them to him that he began to get ill

I don't do crickets any more, i would rather breed my own roaches (almost enough to feed off now) and pay more for cleaner food than cause him problems and pay vet bills

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
why does nobody tell you this stuff when you first get one? - it's always " eating his crix and veggies" in the adverts, never "raised on nice clean home-bred roaches"

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
As far as I know, other feeders do not carry the same risk of passing parasites to your dragon. Crickets are rotten little things, and basically they'll eat anything - poop, each other :puke: so it's no wonder they can pass so many nasties to our babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom