Feeder Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Feeders...

This is the one part of caring for a dragon that I didn't care for when I had mine years ago. Now, as I am getting closer to trying to raise one again, this feeder issue has again reared its ugly head. There seems to be advantages and disadvantages to each of the different types of feeders. If possible I would like to raise my own to minimize cost and to always have an availible food source for the baby dragon. Problem is I hate the noise, smell and short life span of crickets and really fear what will happen if some roaches escape into my house (I'm careless and would inevitably let some escape). I LOVE the idea of silkworms, but don't know if I have what it takes to be able to breed them, and don't like the cost. How about wax or butter worms? I have read not to use worms sold as fish bait, is this just due to the low nutritional content? Could you just feed them some high quality feed to boost the nutritional content? Has anyone attempted to breed them? I work at a place that sells bait so these would be readily availible to me. Are there any other options out there? I would much rather deal with worms than with crickets or roaches; but will deal with the aforementioned if it is the best option...

I would appreciate any and all input from you guys.

Thanks!

Aaron

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
If your getting a juvie then you could always go with the super worm, by far other then my dubia they are my second choice of an easy and carefree feeder. But if your getting a newborn or younger dragon that option will be out.
Second wax worms aren’t too hard to breed but are high in fat and should be used as treats not a stable. Not sure about the butter worms. Don’t kill the idea of roaches out of the 3 most popular ones out there the dubia hands down is the best due to them being slow and the fact they cant climb smooth surfaces. You could always try to feed your dragon pellets as a stable…..
Have a great weekend Jason

Heisei

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think I may try to breed some silk worms. I can build a small enclosure for them with some scrap wood and mesh screening I have. Feeding won't be a problem as I have access to dozens of mulberry trees (would have to preserve leaves for the winter, though). I can get 1000 eggs from Mulberry farms for 15$, so the cost isn't too bad. If it fails, it fails; but I think this may be worth a shot to save me from having to use crickets or roaches. Any thoughts? Am I making this out to be way easier than it actually will be? Has anyone else tried this?

Coincidentally, has anyone got eggs from Mulberry farms? What is the success ratio (what percentage actually hatch)?

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom