Feedback for Outdoor Enclosure!

CryTime

Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
Hello! I am just wanting some constructive feedback on an outdoor enclosure I have for my bearded dragon. It isn't his permanent home, but rather I wanted a safe, enclosed space for him to get some sun. I wanted him to be safe from predators or him accidentally ingesting something poisonous. I have pictures of it attached below. There's a raised platform with shade beneath it in the shaded part, a water dish big enough for him to dip in, and some driftwood to bask on. Surface temps on the shaded side are about 85° currently and the sunny side is 105°. I have a thermometer in there and this is *strictly* for when I have the time to monitor him closely. He would never be out in this unsupervised. I also move this around to where it is, at minimum, 50% shade

Attachments

• 20230718_133529.jpg
    20230718_133529.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20230718_133536.jpg
    20230718_133536.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 66

QibliLover1

Beardie name(s)
Qibli
Looks great I see no problem with this as long as you never let him unsupervised alone as you said and if you continuously check the temps although I can’t see but does the cage have flooring? My bearded dragon got mites being outside on the ground.

CryTime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
Looks great I see no problem with this as long as you never let him unsupervised alone as you said and if you continuously check the temps although I can’t see but does the cage have flooring? My bearded dragon got mites being outside on the ground.
It does not- it's simply my patio. I'm minimally worried about ticks, since I've never gotten them myself in this yard and he's not in the grass. I can get some type of flooring for it though. I would just need to think of something that wont absorb too much heat

QibliLover1

Beardie name(s)
Qibli
It does not- it's simply my patio. I'm minimally worried about ticks, since I've never gotten them myself in this yard and he's not in the grass. I can get some type of flooring for it though. I would just need to think of something that wont absorb too much heat
It’s not really ticks. mites are a bit different, reptiles usually get them from pet store decor but mine got them from outside somehow. They look like black dots usually around the mouth or eyes of a dragon but they are not easy to get rid of and require special baths.

QibliLover1

Beardie name(s)
Qibli
It’s not really ticks. mites are a bit different, reptiles usually get them from pet store decor but mine got them from outside somehow. They look like black dots usually around the mouth or eyes of a dragon but they are not easy to get rid of and require special baths.
Perhaps a tray or something that you can just slide in and out?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm sorry but it's not perfect, any evergreen species is toxic unless sealed. You can get hardwood plywood sometimes but it's pricey. What are the dimensions of your set up? You can get thin birch plywood at lowes but its like 4x4x 3/16 sheets. It isn't toxic but i doubt it would hold up well to the weather. I guess you could put it away when not in use though 🙂
Otherwise no criticism here, beardies love being outside (once they get used to it). It's fabulous enrichment for them.

CryTime

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oatmeal
I'm sorry but it's not perfect, any evergreen species is toxic unless sealed. You can get hardwood plywood sometimes but it's pricey. What are the dimensions of your set up? You can get thin birch plywood at lowes but its like 4x4x 3/16 sheets. It isn't toxic but i doubt it would hold up well to the weather. I guess you could put it away when not in use though 🙂
Otherwise no criticism here, beardies love being outside (once they get used to it). It's fabulous enrichment for them.
Oh yes it folds up, so I bring it inside when he isnt out there. The foot print is only 4x3, so I should be able to make it work. Could probably seal it with polyurethane too. Even if it's safe, and even if I keep it inside, I'd be grossed out by any poop stains from him going to the bathroom out there. I've already had to run back and forth to Lowes to make some modifications (originally it was a rabbit/chicken coop and wasn't very secure around the top), so I dont mind going back again

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just remember to let the polyurethane cure to zero fumes before you stick him on it. I've had trouble finding it here lately, but another thing that would work good is the clear vinyl runner mats. Sometimes the lowes here has it on those big rolls with the carpet rolls and they can cut it to any size you need.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom