Feed in seperate tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrmatthews

So I know you are supposed to feed your beardies for 10 min or so and just let them eat as much as they want in that time period. I've also heard to remove remaining crickets because they will bite the beardies at night. However, it's hard to find all the crickets remaining in a 4x2x2 tank. Would it be alright to place the beardies in a 10 gallon aquarium full of crickets for feeding, and then placing them back into their tank after 10 to 15 minutes? That way it isn't necessary to remove any remaining ones from the main tank. I tried this yesterday and they were able to eat a lot easier as well. Does anyone else do anything like this when feeding? Thanks!

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
BINGO!!!! You have it all figured out! :wink:
Yes, putting them in a separate feeding tank is recommended for the very reason you have stated. :D

Kedro5

Sorry to intrude into this conversation, but i have a young bearded dragon and when i take him out to put him in my feeding tub all he wants to do is try to escape and run around. He doesn't even bother to look at the crickets that are all around him. Until i figure something out i have just been removing his log and rock in the tank and put the crickets right in there. What would you reccomend to help him eat easier. Also i just upgraded to the larger crickets from my local PetCo, he was eating anywhere from 15-25 small-crickets twice a day and i was wondering how many large crickets about he would be able to eat. Because he will eat 1 or 2 and then sit and watch them so i have to go in his tank and fish them out.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Kedro5":1qayq1ad said:
Sorry to intrude into this conversation, but i have a young bearded dragon and when i take him out to put him in my feeding tub all he wants to do is try to escape and run around. He doesn't even bother to look at the crickets that are all around him. Until i figure something out i have just been removing his log and rock in the tank and put the crickets right in there. What would you reccomend to help him eat easier. Also i just upgraded to the larger crickets from my local PetCo, he was eating anywhere from 15-25 small-crickets twice a day and i was wondering how many large crickets about he would be able to eat. Because he will eat 1 or 2 and then sit and watch them so i have to go in his tank and fish them out.
I had the same exact problem you are having.. I thought Scarlett didn't like crickets so one day I decided to try and feed her in her enclosure and bingo that was the trick.. I can recommend something though that I did so I wouldn't have tons of crickets running around.. I had a small clear plastic bowl that kinda had high sides to it and I would put the crickets in there and kinda tilt it and she would just about climb in the bowl and eat them right out of there.. HOpe this helps :D

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
That is a good idea that Ashleigh mentioned with the high-sided bowl. Some members who had this problem and fed their beardie's in their enclosures have also bought toy "bug vaccuum" guns to suck up the crickets after feeding.
You mentioned switching to a larger size cricket. Could they be too big for your beardie? Are they smaller than the space between your beardie's eyes?

finnie

Hi, we have the same problem with our 5mth old. The previous owner would dump about 40 crickets into his viv at the beginning of the week, and he would hunt all week. When we got him and the enclosure I found that it really had a bad odor and the crickets that were left cherped all night long - drove us nuts. I changed the entire set up around, and we tried to feed him about 20 crickets at a time in a separate 10 gal aquarium, but he doesn't like this, as he can't "hunt" - he seems to slide around on the glass floor. So we let him hunt about 2 at a time on the bathroom floor until he's eaten all 20+. It usually takes him about 10 minutes - and he has fun running around after them. Not sure if this is a great idea, but it seems to work for us for the time being. :blob8:

OgleRpets

Sub-Adult Member
Lucius eats his roaches in a separate container. Sometimes it takes work to convince them they want to eat out of their viv but it sure makes it easier once they do. :)

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Love reading these posts! I'm getting my first baby baby beardie in 2 weeks. The 2 I have now I got at 5 months and 7 months old, so I've never had a little tyke.. this is going to be interesting learning how to feed her. :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom