False Bearded Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbi1655

I had to stop in my local pet shop today. I took a look around and he had a 'false' bearded dragon. He was beautiful and looked like a baby beardie with a true blue beard. I asked the owner about him but he wouldn't tell me much. About the only thing he told me was that they don't get as big. My niece asked if they were tame and his answer was "About as tame as a lizard can get I guess." It was 2 minutes to closing and he wanted to lock up.

I've looked online and can only find one reference. It's a thread here that's over a year old and locked.

Does anyone have any new information on them?

Barb

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
That link that Diamc just gave you is about as much as you will find on them.I will add on thing to it however just so you are aware, most blue throats agamas are wild caught so when you do get one I strongly recommend getting a fecal done to ensure they are free from parasites.As to the care the best I can tell you is follow the general agama care sheets as there isnt one specifc care sheet for these little guys.As for hoe tame or handleable they are,generally they dont bite or anything but since they are not captive bred it does take some time to get them used to you and they are not as people friendly/dependant as beardies.Hope this helps.

-Vicky

barbi1655

Original Poster
I googled and viewed images of the Agamas and while they are very blue, they don't look like the one I saw today.

I have no need for another lizard, this little one just intrigued me with his/her beautiful blue beard. :)

I really don't like going into this pet shop but I may have to just to see this guy again.

Barb

keschete

Sub-Adult Member
Agamas are related to beardies...there are a wide range of species from many different places on earth.

I have been researching them and they seem like neat lizards if you can get a captive bred animal. The wild caught are stressed and full of parasites.

There is a new series on animal planet that is about wild russia. The episode on the caucasian mountains has some great info on the toad head agama which really resembles the bearded dragon.

Rachella

Juvie Member
:shock: Wow, what a gorgeous looking lizard! (from Google search :p)

I've seen the Wild Russia episode with the toad-head agama, that thing was crazy! The one that dug into the sand, right? It was gorgeous. :mrgreen: :blob5:

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
II cant add anything that the mods didnt cover already except the blue tones down as the agama ages. They are neat lizards but the few ive seen where so unhealthy that I would never sell them.

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
i have 5 of these guys, also called pale agamas. the place i got them from said they are captive hatched with wild parents, how true this is i dont know, but they are definitely the tamest lizard ive seen. theyre very active inside the cage but have no problems with being held and are very calm outside the cage, they explore to a point but dont move nearly as fast as a young beardie, most of the time theyll just move around on your hand to find a comfy spot and then just chill and check things out. i have one that is skittish at times, the rest dont care if you pet them and half the time will jump on your hand if you let it sit there a minute. i enjoy em quite a bit, tho nothing beats a beardie :lol:

*i guess i should add that without a picture im not sure if im talking about the same lizard, ive seen pale agamas listed as 'false bearded dragons' and 'blue throated lizards' so i am just assuming its the same as what you saw, but could very well be something different without knowing what it looks like. just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom