Falling asleep early for the past five days

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Leo’s been napping a lot more lately, for the past four nights he’s retired to the cave on the warm side of his enclosure at around 5:00-6:30pm when his lights go off at 8:30pm. Today, he fell asleep at 1:00pm. He is currently beneath his basking platform.

He’s only 8 months old (confirmed w/ breeder) so I’d honestly be surprised if he was preparing for brumation… my first beardie only started brumation at around 14 months… his husbandry and diet haven’t changed, but he only comes out to eat.

This has been going on for the past four nights- make that five now (although it isn’t night right now…). What’s the deal with that? He seems to be in a light sleep, his eyes will open when he hears a noise. He stays beneath his basking platform for the rest of the day. He doesn’t look ill… what’s wrong?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He's probably just in slow down mode. He can see the daylight cycle is getting shorter even though he is inside. Two of my girls are doing the same thing. Ruby is actually staying mostly in her den and Sweet Pea just naps where ever she happens to be.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
He's probably just in slow down mode. He can see the daylight cycle is getting shorter even though he is inside. Two of my girls are doing the same thing. Ruby is actually staying mostly in her den and Sweet Pea just naps where ever she happens to be.
Good. Brumation is so lonely 😢 his enclosure is somewhat close to a window so you could be right, thanks

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
My boy Luis is doing this also. Some days he even stays in his hide for a whole day or two, then comes out, is active and eating and everything the next day. He's 11 months.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
My boy Luis is doing this also. Some days he even stays in his hide for a whole day or two, then comes out, is active and eating and everything the next day. He's 11 months.
Odd- I’m not to sure myself what he’s up to. Like Xp29 suggested, it could be the daylight hour shift messing with him?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Odd- I’m not to sure myself what he’s up to. Like Xp29 suggested, it could be the daylight hour shift messing with him?
Has to be, there are so many people talking about their dragons brumating right now. Your dragon and mine are just at this age where they might do this semi-brumation thing, I guess.
Today Luis fell asleep in the same spot he woke up (3h before the lights go out) and didn't move more than an inch up or down his branch.
Yesterday he ran around and climbed the whole day. Almost not normal like he was restless or something.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Has to be, there are so many people talking about their dragons brumating right now. Your dragon and mine are just at this age where they might do this semi-brumation thing, I guess.
Today Luis fell asleep in the same spot he woke up (3h before the lights go out) and didn't move more than an inch up or down his branch.
Yesterday he ran around and climbed the whole day. Almost not normal like he was restless or something.
Hmm, yes I agree with you. Leo’s been doing just that

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom