Fake rocks - what to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyDragon89

Hi,
I want to make a fake rock/hide type thing for my beardy but as I'm in the UK I'm finding it really difficult finding what I'm supposed to use. Is there anything specific that I can look out for with the grout and sealer? I have absolutely no clue what I'm supposed to do with any of these things and my mum doesn't either. So we're a little stuck. I want to make sure I get the right things to make it so its as safe as it can be for him.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Amy.

AmyDragon89

Original Poster
Yes Ive read that, but it doesnt say exactly what to use. There's loads of different makes and I just wanted to know whether or not there is a specific brand I should look for or not.

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Oh I'm sorry. I guess I didn't understand your original question. I really don't think that it matters what brand you purchase. They are pretty much the same thing regardless of who makes it. I would just try to follow the steps in the thread listed above, being sure to allow sufficient time for it to dry. One thing that might help you is to print out the instructions and take them with you to your local home improvement store. You can explain what you are trying to do and I am sure that the people there will be more than helpful with picking out just the right stuff for you. Don't be afraid to try it. That's how we learn. Good luck...

Tigg

Juvie Member
There is no specific brands at all... Really, grout is grout, You can get sanded or non sanded, white or coloured.

As for the paint and sealer, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as it is NON TOXIC.

Be sure to let it dry and air out for a few days before using it, and have fun with your project! :)

AprilMayJune

Hatchling Member
Whatever you do,,, don't use Sanded grout!! It's horrile to try and "paint" onto the styrofoam. When making my pieces of furniture (7total) I made the mistake of using Sanded grout for the first layer of 6 of them and it was a pain. I got really frustrated and almost gave up on them. I went and had to buy more grout and bought the unsanded in white and tinted it with non-toxic children's paint and loved the results!! I had to re-make one piece of furniture and started with the unsanded grout from the get-go and it went so much quicker. It was easier to work with, smoother, and had a better consistancy (sp). Just remember to cover all the styrofoam with a few coats and with each coat getting a bit thicker in consistancy for different layers. I also found that using the white grout I could tint it to different colours (it will look quite a bit lighter when dry) so I could see where I had already put the fresh coat onto the existing coat.

aoscar

Hatchling Member
I used colored sanded grout, a little black temper paint (detailing) and sealed them with sanding sealer with great results, I use dry grout and mix it myself, if it's hard to brush, add a LITTLE more water, I also found it a little eaiser to work with using thick coats. but that is just my opinion
I guess. anyway good luck and update us with some pics.

AmyDragon89

Original Poster
Thanks a lot everyone :) Think i have it sorted and understand it better now. No idea what i'd do if i didn't find this site. Will post pics when it's done

I'm going to attempt to use cement on my fake rock hide. See how that turns out. I'd like to stay away from using any kind of sealer.

Got my rock hide prepped. Tomorrow might be the day I attempt to paint on the cement, hope it works out well.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ive just finished mine, I went to B&Q and got sandstone grout, its a really nice colour. I sealed it with a waterbased sealant i bought from woodfurnishingsdirect.com, it smelled a bit but does the job!

I think homebase also has the stuff but i dont have one local!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom