Fake plants are they ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I got a brand new basking ledge/platform it is made for aquariums and it has fake plants on it. I am using it for both decor and something my beardies can be on it's a little rough I figured they could also rub on to aid itching/shedding. It is going to be used on the UVB side very minimal exposure to the basking light so it won't heat up and have a possibility of melting the plants. I can also snip the plants off if need be is it advisable to leave the plants on it or cut them off? I might cut 1 or 2 just bc it is placed a certain way and they may be bothered by them otherwise I wanna leave them. This is the first time using fake plants so I'm hoping it'll be ok and they won't eat/peck at them

SPandS

Juvie Member
Can you post a pic? It should be fine but some beardies do like to try and eat fake plants which could cause impaction. Also how many beardies do you have in the enclosure? And is there a reason you have the heat and uvb separate?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Can you post a pic? It should be fine but some beardies do like to try and eat fake plants which could cause impaction. Also how many beardies do you have in the enclosure? And is there a reason you have the heat and uvb separate?
Sorry that sounded confusing let me explain I have 2 beardies in 2 different enclosures normally I make both look the same though sometimes it is difficult to get 2x everything. And I have the basking bulb side by side with the UVB so they bask and get both heat/UVB I will place the new decor under the UVB. It will get a little heat but not much because it won't be directly under the basking bulb they will just use it to hang out on and bask under the UVB. Sometimes they get hot enough so they won't sit under the basking light but will sit beside it and get a tiny bit of heat. Though my Chubbs seems a bit intimidated by the plants so i may snip a few

Attachments

• 20220317_125226.jpg
    20220317_125226.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 82

SPandS

Juvie Member
I personally would probably remove them but your dragons may be fine with it. I had a fake cactus that had little orange flowers on it and one of my dragons went right for it the try and eat them off so I had to remove them. He's been fine with the rest of the cactus but it's more solid and harder to bite. Just keep and eye on them and use your best judgement. Even if you don't see them bite it look for bite marks on the plants themselves.

If it was directly under the basking bulb it should be fine though too as it looks to be made from the same plastic as fake stuff for reptiles.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I personally would probably remove them but your dragons may be fine with it. I had a fake cactus that had little orange flowers on it and one of my dragons went right for it the try and eat them off so I had to remove them. He's been fine with the rest of the cactus but it's more solid and harder to bite. Just keep and eye on them and use your best judgement. Even if you don't see them bite it look for bite marks on the plants themselves.

If it was directly under the basking bulb it should be fine though too as it looks to be made from the same plastic as fake stuff for reptiles.
I removed 3-4 it now only has flowers under the highest part of the decor so she will be able to get up it without going through the flowers on the lowest part of the decor. I thought of putting real plants in there but not sure what type would be best and if they need to be organic and made without pesticides and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom