Facts About Megaray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNorm

Is it true these bulbs are larger than normal ones.
I have a good fixture, it can hold up to 660W lol
But its only 7" from within the socket to the edge.
i was wondering how big exactly the fixture would have to be for a megaray?
thanks in advance.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
They are like a flood light. Here's a picture I took last week for a different post.

PIC-0026.jpg

The soda can is for scale.. it was a camera phone pic, too..

Youkai

Hatchling Member
JNorm":e952a said:
Is it true these bulbs are larger than normal ones.
I have a good fixture, it can hold up to 660W lol
But its only 7" from within the socket to the edge.
i was wondering how big exactly the fixture would have to be for a megaray?
thanks in advance.

Yes, they are larger than normal bulbs, as you can see from NegativeCreep's picture
660w should do it, definitely!! :mrgreen: I'm sure it does, but you want to make sure it has a ceramic (or porcelain) base.
You DON'T want any fixture that can dim or has a built in rheostat (sp?) it will probably blow the bulb out.
ReptileUV, the makers of the MegaRay, suggest at least a 10" dome.
Owning one myself, I'd suggest you get the "deep dome" model as well, to cover for the larger bulb length. :D

Hope that helps

JNorm

Original Poster
It is a 10" dome that i have. Im just worried that the bulb would be to big since its going to sit on a screen, i dont want the bulb touching the screen.
If its about the same as a spotlight like you would use in motion lights i guess i could test one of thoes.
It looks simular to one anyway...
thanks for the advice.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
If your going to rest it against the screen a regular 10 inch wont work.It will stick out a little.I use the deep dome and have about 2 inches of space left over.Ok I just went and measured my megaray with the stem and bulb its 6 inches so you would need about 7 to clear and the bulbface is about 4 inches across.Hope that helps.

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
You'll probably have to get the Deep Dome - I tried putting my MegaRay in my regular 10" dome and it stuck out the bottom.

Thor's Mom

Sub-Adult Member
Save your money on the deep dome that they sell at the pet stores. Here's what you do. As long as your fixture on the dome you have is ceramic (this is a must, those bulbs get way too hot for any other fixture) what you can do is go to Home Depot and buy a cheap contractor dome light, they are like $5-$6. Then you take that light home and you can remove the dome from your ceramic fixture and remove the contractor dome from its plastic fixture, then put the contractor dome onto the ceramic fixture. It works really well and the contractor domes fit the Megaray just fine!

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Thor's Mom":b5f1e said:
Save your money on the deep dome that they sell at the pet stores. Here's what you do. As long as your fixture on the dome you have is ceramic (this is a must, those bulbs get way too hot for any other fixture) what you can do is go to Home Depot and buy a cheap contractor dome light, they are like $5-$6. Then you take that light home and you can remove the dome from your ceramic fixture and remove the contractor dome from its plastic fixture, then put the contractor dome onto the ceramic fixture. It works really well and the contractor domes fit the Megaray just fine!

WOW!! Excellent tip!! Thank you, I'm gonna have to try that :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom