Eyes closed a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeobyte

Hi all,

Got my first beardie yesterday (4-5 months old) and noticed than he spends about 90% of the day with his eyes closed. His stripes on his belly are also very prominent but was completely invisible in the shop.

I'm thinking something is upsetting him. Humidity is 35%. Hot end 115f, low end 80f. He has eaten 8 hoppers today. But isnt interested in drinking, not too concerned about that yet. The tank is 4x2x2 and the komodo basking spot bulb is 150w

I'm worried maybe the UV is too intense for him? It's an Arcadia t5 extra high output, 39w 34 inches with reflector. It has been placed at the top of the viv and he can't get closer than 10 inches to it. However he can easily get to the 12-15 inch perfect zone for this UV lamp. He can also get a lot further away. He opens his eyes to look at me when I make a noise but closes again within 10 seconds. It's been like this for 2 days now.

What you think?

Edit: his head is shedding. When he chases hoppers he runs very fast after them with both eyes wide open. Thinking he might just take after me and be very lazy.

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your lighting is quite good and is mounted in a way that shouldn't be bothering him which is often a cause for them to close their eyes. It's pretty hot in there so I'd try bumping the heat down maybe 5 degrees or so on both ends and see if that helps. I think the most likely issue is that he's adjusting to his new home and is closing his eyes out of being stressed out a bit. If that's the case, it should pass. It's a good sign that he's eating. It's also possible that the shed is bugging him. Don't be surprised if you see him bulge his eyes out and puff his beard out to help loosen the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom