Eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all I'm new to this forum and I've made my introduction, I read stuff on here almost everyday just trying g to learn as much as possible but I wanted to make my own thread to try and get some more info. So I've had hyde for 3 months, we figure he is about 4ish months old Givin his length and size. Pretty sure he is a boy but I will know for sure when he gets bigger. Got him from pets mart with the 40 gallon setup. Deep double dome light fixture with ceramic sockets and anot her smaller ceramic socket light fixture with a nigh blacklight heat bulb in it. The double fixture had the original white basking light and the reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb in it. The basking light blew so a friend gave us a red heat bulb to use. Substrate is the exo terra sand matt from pets mart. 1 cave 1 twisted up log thing and a rock. Hot side stays around 95-100 and cool side stays around 90. He eats crickets and mealworms, I put either minced up carrots, kale, papaya, fresh everyday for his salad dish even though he barely eats it. About three weeks ago he started shedding, face then legs and stomach then the tail. Not sure if he already she'd his back and ate it or if he hasn't she'd it yet. When he started shedding of course he got less active and he also kept his eyes closed all the time. He still keeps his eyes closed most of the day but I still get him to eat at least half of what he was eating before the shed. 20-30 crickets a day down to about 10 crickets and a few mealworms a day. His eyes look just a little watery and a little piece of green gunk that I clean out with a wet q-tip. He looks fine he still goes around and climbs on his stuff but I'm worried. Is the eye problem because of the shed or the red light, or the uvb bulb I have? Before the shed he was very active, climbing around basking and hunting his food but now he is lazy and keeps his eyes closed unless I pick him up or make some noise in his tank. Please get back to me asap I'm ready to go out today and buy whatever. I have a lot of pictures but I don't know how to upload them, I'm on a cell phone. Yes I've ready mostly to use the 10.0 uvb tube but I've also ready that the uvb I have will do, I'm pretty sure I need to get rid of the red heat bulb for a white one though.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Are you using a coil or compct? I would also ditch the color bulbs. What exactly are you taking temps with? The basking spot should be around 110-115 for young ones. Was the goop a one time thing?

Keeann

I've heard from other people on the forum that the red lights are very bad for their eyes. I had my boy in a tank with the ZooMed Moonlight bulb that is supposed to mimic natural nighttime light, but I've heard that ceramic heat emitters with no light are the best for nighttime use so there's no risk at all of eye irritation from visible light.

Cjdean1243

Original Poster
OK I figured out how to upload pictures, I have pictures of everything g just give me one sec. Thank you both for getting g back so fast :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
First off, The coil type bulbs are not fit for dragons "personally I will never understand why they put those in a bearded dragon kit"!!! The can cause eye infections and blindness because they operate on the wrong frequency and, are nowhere near strong enough to provide proper UVB. I recommend you use a long tube type bulb like the Reptisun 10.0T5 HO or the Arcadia 12%D3. These provide good coverage and, the closest you can get to what they actually need in UVB.
Secondly, have you ever walked into a room with a red light on? Dragons see just like we do only better...in color. Your dragon is confused because he can't see properly. Get a good white basking light asap, this will help.
Also do not feed mealworms, their exoskeletons are too hard and can cause impaction which can lead to paralysis and even a miserable death.
Try dark greens like collard,mustard and, turnip greens. Carrots and khale are only to be fed occasionally.
I hope in some way this helps your little buddy.

Cjdean1243

Original Poster
OK got all my pictures ready, also thank you all for the quick help I will be going today to get light and food!
90955-2978796726.jpg
90955-8522719065.jpg
90955-6357754213.jpg
90955-8481258908.jpg
90955-9479846046.jpg
90955-1768539246.jpg
90955-5114639178.jpg
90955-6522753895.jpg
90955-9140691440.jpg

Keeann

Nice sized setup for the little guy! I would suggest maybe adding a little hide for him, and also maybe consider switching out the sand for something more solid. Sometimes the little ones are a little clumsy with their hunting and might get some of the substrate in their mouth with the food, and it can cause an impaction. I've heard some good things about reptile carpet, but it can also retain bacteria and if you don't keep claws trimmed they can get stuck and lose some toes over time. I kept my guy on just plain paper. I wouldn't recommend newspaper just because I'm wary of ink, even though I don't know for sure if it can cause problems, lol. Very easy to clean!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The blue night heat light is just a gimic, get a CHE "ceramic heat emitter" for night use. Any type of light emitting heat source disturbs their sleep!

Cjdean1243

Original Poster
Well OK guys sorry for such a late response but I went and got a 150 watt white heat bulb, and also ordered the reptisun 10.0 uvb tube, got a light fixture from Walmart that I'm going to put inside the tank on the back wall at the top. Also I've rigged up a thing so the heat bulb fixture is just above the wire screen and not on top of it, basking spot is consistent at 110 and cool side is about 90 during the day. I'm just going to keep using the compact uvb until the tube comes in the mail. I've also rearranged hydes tank so his cave butts up to the log and then I got a fake fan palm or something g to add some more shade on the cool side. I already notice a slight difference in his activity and it's better but he is still keeping his eyes closed alot. Hopefully after a few days with the uvb tube he will be back to normal and if not then I will be looking into some eye drops for him. Now here is a picture of his tank now and him sleeping right now because I think it's funny how he sleeps lol
90955-7120973011.jpg
90955-265242737.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom