Eye problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

takahii

I need some advise. My 3 year old male dragon has been not moving much and not eating much over the past 5 weeks, while from what i hear this is not un-heard of he recently has not been opening his left eye for anything unless i wash it with my hand. When it is open it looks cloudy and like the pupil is off or wont dilate. I am at a lose of what is wrong or what to do, the closest pet vet is 300 miles away.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Most eye problems are caused by incorrect UVB lights- most often the coil and compact bulbs. What UVB brand/concentration do you have?

mikewithsfi

Hatchling Member
the coil lights are bad news.

Basically, coil & compact UV lights are a high output, low intensity bulb. What this means for a sun loving dragon is they can't tell the difference in intensity of the bulb since it doesn't produce much visable light & wind up potentially causing eye irritation or retinal burns.

takahii

Original Poster
Thank you i did not know that. Any suggestions on what type of light set up to replace it with?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear that happened!
We all recommend the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb either one for the UVB. It will need to be mounted along side of a bright white light that is not coated with a phosphorus coating such as neodymium which further irritates the eyes.
What sized tank are you using?
How do the eyes look, is there any discharge coming out?
For now, go ahead & turn off the Zilla coil lights to help alleviate the eye issues. The basking light you are using, is it a bright white light, or a colored light or coated?
You can get some sterile saline solution to help the eyes right now. How is his appetite?
You can get some bee pollen to help boost his immune system back up.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

takahii

Original Poster
"What sized tank are you using? "- 20 gallon
"How do the eyes look, is there any discharge coming out? "- it looks clouded and swollen. There looked to be some clear dryd discharge when i cam home from work today but none before now and sense.
"The basking light you are using, is it a bright white light, or a colored light or coated?"- white
"How is his appetite?"- it is pour, about a few greens and about 3 crickets or super worms.

And thank you, i will try the saline as soon as i can. i will have to see about getting my hands on some bee pollen.

takahii

Original Poster
Update: Once again thanks all i got a new strip bulb setup two days ago for him. still no improvement as of yet but he did eat two apple chunks i put in his bowel.

Maxwellsmomma1989

Hatchling Member
im so sorry your little buddy is having eye problems , those zillas are known to cause it and everyone learns the hard way that it causes it i always thought well if my local pet shop sells it it cant be bad for your beardie or they would not sell it wrong..max had a zilla dessert light and got soo lethargic and dark. but after 48 hours with it off he came back around, really try to get a reptisum 10 they are the best or for right now the natural sun is all he needs for his uvb needs! and the heat can be a regular light bulb or a CHE your choice once again i hope your baby gets to feeling better and now you know :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom