Eye infection?

Mlong0829

Beardie name(s)
Cheerio
I got my little baby Cheerio in November and he is super healthy other than his eye. In January it started to get all goopy and he kept his eye closed a lot. I made a vet appointment and got him in a few weeks ago. They gave him eye drops and he has been back three times for shots for the infection. I have been using the eye drops twice a day like they said and his eye seems to just be getting worse. Its like the inside of his eye is swelling and his little eyeball is just sinking in. The vet is thinking it may be a foreign object in his eye and want 500-800$ to sedate him and do an eye exam to check and then depending on what happens charging me for whatever they do after that. I love my little guy but I just filled up my credit card with a 700$ surgery for my dog. I'm looking into checking out surrounding vets to get a second opinion as I do not have that kind of money but thought I would post and see if anyone has been through this and has an ideas on what it may be or anything else I can do? He has a 40 gallon beardie tank from petsmart with the thrive uvb that came with it and thrive heat bulb as well. He has good temperature gradient and reptile carpet. I clean his cage out every week to get any dust or dead crickets etc. out. His water is changed daily and he mainly eats kale and sometimes field greens or bananas other veggies or fruits mixed in.

Attachments

• IMG_3045.JPEG
    IMG_3045.JPEG
    189.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2528.JPEG
    IMG_2528.JPEG
    256.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1405.JPEG
    IMG_1405.JPEG
    197 KB · Views: 62

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
replace your UVB with a long tube bulb and fixture. those compact/coils that come with the kits are horrible and notorious for causing eye problems. i would do this ASAP. look for an arcadia pro T5 setup. for the 40 gallon you'll want a 24 inch fixture (fits a 22 inch bulb) and that will still be usable later down the line when you need to upgrade your tank size

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When you get the uvb please post back on here and I will help you place it for your tank - screen will determine where the uvb goes-- PetSmart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 24 watt 12% bulb

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, if you haven't already turned your compact/coil light, go ahead & turn that off. Then, for now
just use the basking light until his eye starts doing better. What eye drops are you using, do you have
the name of it?
The eye that is swollen/infected, is that the eye closest to the compact/coil?
You can also get some chamomile tea bags, & get one & warm it up. Then, use it like a warm compress
to place over his eye. You can cover it with a small hand towel. Just leave it on for a 5-10 minute time
frame at night, when he is going to sleep.
The chamomile has healing properties that might help with swelling & inflammation.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom