Eye Infection Home Remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

Chewwie got an eye infection in his right eye and I can't Guthrie out the cause nor can I afford the vet at the moment. Please save the whole lecture on how I shouldn't have gotten him if I couldn't afford his needs cuz I KNOW! And like I said it's just a temporary money dhoryage cuz my car is acting up and I just switched my insurance, but anyway... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cure his eye without a vet visit? Or at least prevent it from spreading to the other eye or rotting out his infected eye? Right now I've been cleaning off the crusties daily with a Qtip and some Blink (A good quality contact solution). He helps temporarily but by the night it's closed again. I have also turn d off his ReptiSun 10.0 Tube bulb just to see if that is the cause (highly doubtful tho).

For my substrate I'm using the kitchen cupboard vinal stuff as well as a paper towel for where he poops, cuz I'm a lucky mama and he poops in one spot ;) his basking light is a 90w flood lamp and his basking spot reaches 90-112. Like I said his uvb is a reptisun 10.0 tube and it is 12" from him he can get closer in he goes on his hut which he occasionally does. For his diet he eats 10-25 dusted crickets a day as well as 1-2 wax worms. I've tried to give him leafy green but all he does is put them in his mouth and chew for a little but then he spits them out. They are not too big cuz I cut them around the same size as the crickets.

I just really don't know what caused this nor prevent this from happening again PLEASE HELP

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Some users have had success with high quality raw honey as a antimicrobial/healing agent for eye injuries.

Check around with the exotics Bess in your area and see if you can apply for care credit to be seen. Eye infections can get serious quick.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos of him and his eye? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

At 12'' your UVB light shouldn't be causing an issue. Is it a T5 or a T8? A T8 should be a bit closer in the 6-8'' range to be effective but a T5 is just right at 12''.

I would avoid using contact solution on his eye and instead rinse it with some plain sterile saline solution. A contact solution could harm his eyes.

Manuka honey may be helpful as Taterbug suggested. You can get a jar of it here and give it a try http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Manuka_Honey

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please do post a few pictures of the eye for us & review your lighting, it will help us.
As suggested, raw, unpasteurized honey, or manuka honey can be thinned out with warm water & used in the eye as an antibacterial agent to help with infection.
You can also try some chamomile tea bags (warmed & moistened) over his eye with a washcloth, to help with healing. Be sure it isn't too hot though.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom