Eye infection, can't get a vet, what to do

scootstah

Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I adopted a juvenile beardie on Sep 30th. He was originally placed in a 20gallon tank with not great lighting. We were using a double lamp fixture with a 75w basking bulb and a UVB CCFL. He didn't eat at all really for the first 5-6 days, only a couple of crickets per day. We received advise that his husbandry was not adequate, so we upgraded to a 70gallon tank, with 100w basking bulb, and a 24" t5 10.0UVB tube. Temps are 95-100 and basking spot is 105-110ish. After upgrading the tank he did start eating a bit. He wasn't interested at all in crickets, but he we got some Dubai roaches and he started eating 10-15 a day for a few days.

During the first week we noticed his left eye had a small amount of discharge. It would form a small bubble at times. He didn't want to open this eye. This changed into crustiness. I have bathed him and gently applied warm water via a Qtip to the eye to alleviate the crustiness, and clean with saline, which helps a bit but it just quickly starts seeping nastiness after.

This last week his right eye has started doing the same, and he will not open either eye pretty much at all at this point. He stopped eating completely 5-6 days ago. He is very stressed and will sometimes just jump around in his tank glass surfing. It breaks my heart.

Yesterday I got him some liquid vitamin and ReptaBoost. I was able to give him some vitamins and I've given him two feedings of ReptaBoost with a syringe. He weighs 11g and at the moment I'm giving 0.6cc per day.

I have called every vet in my state and nobody is taking reptiles. I cannot even get them to give me medicine without seeing him. I am not sure what to do. I have ordered Fluker's Repta Rinse which is supposed to come on Monday.

Is there some way I can get antibiotics online? I've tried looking for like an online telehealth reptile vet but I can't find any. Will the Repta Rinse clear the infection?

Attachments

• 20231013_124302.jpg
    20231013_124302.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 61

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I adopted a juvenile beardie on Sep 30th. He was originally placed in a 20gallon tank with not great lighting. We were using a double lamp fixture with a 75w basking bulb and a UVB CCFL. He didn't eat at all really for the first 5-6 days, only a couple of crickets per day. We received advise that his husbandry was not adequate, so we upgraded to a 70gallon tank, with 100w basking bulb, and a 24" t5 10.0UVB tube. Temps are 95-100 and basking spot is 105-110ish. After upgrading the tank he did start eating a bit. He wasn't interested at all in crickets, but he we got some Dubai roaches and he started eating 10-15 a day for a few days.

During the first week we noticed his left eye had a small amount of discharge. It would form a small bubble at times. He didn't want to open this eye. This changed into crustiness. I have bathed him and gently applied warm water via a Qtip to the eye to alleviate the crustiness, and clean with saline, which helps a bit but it just quickly starts seeping nastiness after.

This last week his right eye has started doing the same, and he will not open either eye pretty much at all at this point. He stopped eating completely 5-6 days ago. He is very stressed and will sometimes just jump around in his tank glass surfing. It breaks my heart.

Yesterday I got him some liquid vitamin and ReptaBoost. I was able to give him some vitamins and I've given him two feedings of ReptaBoost with a syringe. He weighs 11g and at the moment I'm giving 0.6cc per day.

I have called every vet in my state and nobody is taking reptiles. I cannot even get them to give me medicine without seeing him. I am not sure what to do. I have ordered Fluker's Repta Rinse which is supposed to come on Monday.

Is there some way I can get antibiotics online? I've tried looking for like an online telehealth reptile vet but I can't find any. Will the Repta Rinse clear the infection?
Please get some regular saline NO contact lens stuff- rinse his eye then apply some raw unfiltered honey- look on this website for a vet type in a zip code closest to you if your in a small area- how long did you stop using the coil uvb? What kind of substrate? www.arav.org
@AHBD

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Use a Q-tip dipped in plain saline to very gently wipe the goop away. Then mix a few drops of unpasteurized honey with a few drops of slightly warmed water and apply that to the eyes 2-3 X a day. That can often cure eye infection quite well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The eyes are likely having trouble due to the
compact/coil UVB light. Just for now, turn off
the T5 tube for a few days, leaving just the bright
white basking light on. That will give his eyes some
time to start healing up.
As AHBD mentioned, using raw unpasteurized honey or sterile saline solution both should help
out a lot.
You can look for Terramycin at Tractor Supply,
which is an antibiotic eye ointment. If you aren't
able to find it, I have an online reptile supply store
& have some available.
I'm glad to hear that he is eating right now.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom