Extremely picky eater... I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo0

Hatchling Member
-sigh- Okay, my BD is officially the most stubborn lizard I've ever seen. For months, I've struggled getting him to eat his veggies. I've tried everything on one of the best nutrition guides for bearded dragons, and he STILL won't eat. I even "starved" him for over a week and that pig still won't eat. :? The only thing he will accept (IF I'm lucky) is sweet potato, pumpkin, blueberrys, and these colorful pellets I got for him a while back (he's munching on them as we speak). I've even tried the red dragon bites that supposedly BD's love but nope- not him. When it comes to insects, he's even more of a challenge. He likes the occasional meal worm and wax worm, but only accepts small dubia roach nymphs, as in, the ones that are fed to babies. He's 1 1/2 years old and 16 inches, and he refuses to eat large roaches. I know they aren't too big for him either, yet he just refuses to eat them. It's as if he's scared of them... lol. It's not very convenient feeding him 50-100 baby nymphs twice a week when I could just feed him a couple adult roaches. -_-

I'm so frustrated with him. I literally can't get him to eat anything, and I'm so worried he's going to get sick in the future. He's not sick, just incredibly stubborn. Out of the entire week, he may eat a small bowl of veggies total. The rest of the time, it's either pellets or insects (when I decide to give in). I'm thinking of buying some silkworms and attempting to breed them as another main food source, that is, if he agrees to eat them. If not, I really don't know what else I can do. Again, I've tried pretty much every veggie, green, and fruits there are and he rarely eats any of it. :banghead: Any ideas? I'm about to give up.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Food stubborness like this can be caused by improper heating/old or inaccurate UVB and ESPECIALLY parasites. Has he had a fecal done lately? And what are your temps/how do you take them, and how old/what type is your UVB?

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's definitely not husbandry. He's on tile, 50 gallon, basking spot of 104, hot side 90-95, cool side 75-80, and his UVB is a reptisun 10.0 that was replaced about 2 months ago. He's been stubborn for months though.

His poop isn't abnormal which is why I haven't tested it. I know what to look for when it comes to parasites so I don't believe he has any. It's literally just plain stubbornness... I mean, he will actually spit out his greens when I try and trick him into eating them. :roll: I could take in a sample, but unfortunately the only reliable vet I take him to will insist on giving him meds even with natural numbers of parasites.

edit- that being said, I haven't gotten his stool sampled in a while so next time he poops, I'll try and get it checked.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
I'm in the exact same boat as you, even with the age, etc. Only mine wont eat anything but some bites of greens each week. Everything else has to be bugs. Go read my post, its the same story lol. I starved him and everything. All my info on husbandry is in my post. Its dead on perfect. I dont know what to do. I give up too.

Mine has been to the vet. Treated for coccidia (even though he technically may have not needed it) and for pin worm (even though like only two eggs were found). Vet says he's perfect. I spoon fed him baby food veggies or slurry every day for I dont know how long after I got him and he wouldnt eat. It did nothing for his poopies, or for him. So, after I dont know, I think it was 6-8 months I gave that up.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Unfortunately a lot of dragons will refuse veggies. It isn't uncommon by any means. As long as they're eating bugs it's okay. Try abnormal things like Cactus Pad or Dragon Fruit, things you don't see often but you can track down or have it delivered by buying it online.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CountofCasualty":1rjrk5d3 said:
Unfortunately a lot of dragons will refuse veggies. It isn't uncommon by any means. As long as they're eating bugs it's okay. Try abnormal things like Cactus Pad or Dragon Fruit, things you don't see often but you can track down or have it delivered by buying it online.

Tried both of those as well. He'll just run away whenever I try feeding him. I would list everything I've tried, but it would be a novel lol.

He's a strange one. I've potty trained him, and just about taught him how to drink water from a hamster water bottle thing or in a bowl like a dog, yet I can't teach him something as simply as to eat his veggies. Do you think he'll be okay (healthwise) to continue eating these pellets that the vet gave me along with whatever insects he'll eat? I'm trying to "starve" him again from protein to make him hungry enough to eat the larger roaches, but his main diet will probably consists of roaches, wax worms, superworms (rarely, only if I decide to go with them) and silkworms. I'll give him veggies like pumpkin and sweet potato still, maybe a little fruit too but the odds of him eating them are slim to none. Will he be okay with this diet, or is he in risk of getting sick? I fear he'll get MBD, even though I'm always dusting his insects with vitamins and calcium and he has the best UVB.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
I'd nix the pellets completely, personally. Read the ingredients and it's probably mostly filler and crap. He'll be fine health wise with what you're giving him. Gut load all of his bugs with what you would give him and he'll get those nutrition.
How are you offering the veggies? In a bowl, by hand? What colour bowl are you using? Try a red one if you can. It attracts them.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CountofCasualty":m4yq50qg said:
I'd nix the pellets completely, personally. Read the ingredients and it's probably mostly filler and crap. He'll be fine health wise with what you're giving him. Gut load all of his bugs with what you would give him and he'll get those nutrition.
How are you offering the veggies? In a bowl, by hand? What colour bowl are you using? Try a red one if you can. It attracts them.

This is what I'm using http://www.petmountain.com/product/bearded-dragon-food/11442-504963/rep-cal-maintenance-formula-adult-bearded-dragon-food.html?utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&gclid=CLWAzqe477oCFSEV7AodAiIAJA . I had stopped using the pellets completely, but he actually started becoming thin because he literally refused everything but roaches. Once I put them in, he regained his weight and ate those regularly. I have just a few pellets left that I'll finish off. My vet had told me this can replace veggies completely, but even I was hesitate to use it. So far, he's still fat and healthy, but I'll probably just finish what I have then stop feeding him them. I gutload all his roaches a day before I feed them off. They get a feast of veggies. :)

Ok, now get this. He won't eat out of a bowl... I've tried shallow and deep bowls, but he hates it. I just feed him on a paper towel now since I've had more luck with that than anything. Maybe start using red napkins? Would they be safe?
He prefers being handfed though... 90% of the time, I have to put the food in front of his face to get him to take a bite.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Break him of the habit of not wanting to eat out of bowls. Mine will only take supers out of a dish and being hand fed with tongs(she prefers the tongs) to the point where she won't take them from anyone else but me if it's offered through tongs. This even includes my partner who is with her every day too. Imagine if you had to leave for a week on some work trip or a family emergency or something of the sort. Chances are he won't take them from anyone but you.

Try a red paper plate over a red napkin.

As for the bites, they're full of corn and fillers. Can they replace veggies? Sure. But are they good for dragons? No, not really. If he was losing weight that means you aren't feeding enough bugs as well. Thresh is 8 months old and she doesn't touch her greens much(she eats them though), but her weight doesn't come from greens, they come from the bugs I feed her.

A lot of this is patience and waiting him out. Even if it means starving him for a full week and only offering things in a bowl/off a plate, offering only veggies first and then roaches or bugs at night.

In terms of introducing him to larger roaches, slowly increase the size as time goes on, mix a few slightly larger ones in with his smaller and increase the size as time goes on. Don't rush it though. Take lots of time. He's to small to be eating adult roaches, just medium-large nymphs.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I had tried "starving" him from insects (only fed him once a week) but he remained stubborn so I gave up. I'll pick up some red plates tomorrow and get some fresh greens as well.
Is there any exotic colored veggies I can try that could be used as a staple? He seems to like the color orange and a little red and blue, but he HATES anything green. I'll try and list what I've tried to give you an idea of what I've been dealing with.
I've tried every single staple green, chard, cactus, spaghetti, acorn, and butternut squash, bell pepper, dragonfruit, green beans, carrot, cherries, zucchini, cucumber, grape, hibiscus flowers, kale, mango, papaya, peas, raspberries, phoenix worms, and strawberries. I'm probably missing a few, but yeah... I've given him the entire produce section of the grocery store. He'll rarely take one bite of something new, only to run off and never touch it again. Is there anything out there that has the nutrition of greens that is like, the color red or orange?

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Blueberries, blackberries, Bok choy, Figs if you can find them this time of year, Pomegranate, Pumpkin(Canned or Raw is fine), Fennel, Rosemary, Thyme. This are all 'feed occasionally' but if you can get him to eat something you can start working on other things.

Did you cook the squash or feed it raw? Try cooking it first, heck you can even put Fennel/Rosemary/Thyme on it while it cooks to add flavor.

In terms of different colour greens no, not really. Unfortunately it's pretty much greens. If you can get him to eat Squash that's a perfectly acceptable staple though. Greens are just convenient.

Try waiting him out for a little longer this time. I know it sucks and I know it's hard watching them not eat, but it does need to be done. And I hate saying that(trust me) because I don't like making them hungry. But there comes a point where they will cave.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
I cannot tell you how much better I feel. To know Im not alone. And to know Im doing everything right, but im just experiencing a common problem. The stress over this was unbearable until recent weeks where i literally said I give up. But it was still hard. The whole family worries. Thank you for starting this thread and most of all thanks to those who have given support

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@wolf, trust me you aren't alone! This has been one of the most frustrating things with him. I worry so much because I lost my first beardie to something unknown to both me and my vet, so I become overly paranoid with this guy. The weirdest thing is, when he was a juvi, he was actually eating a salad everyday. He loved his greens... then he went into a semi brumation (on and off sleep for a few weeks) and never touched them again. I think since last December, he's eaten only 2 full salads which were super small. Otherwise, he'll take a bite of something and run off. I get so excited when he eats even just a bite of veggies. It's a rare moment these days. It just frustrates me when I go out and make a super healthy salad for him, only for him to not touch it. :/

Good thing is, he FINALLY caved tonight and ate an adult roach. I hadn't fed him any insects since last Tuesday because he was again, just being stubborn. The ones I feed him are the smallest adults I have (only 1 inch long), so I know they aren't too big for him, he just likes the smaller ones since they're easier to eat. Tomorrow, I'll plan on getting some squash and doing exactly what you said Count- cook it with some thyme! The only reason I didn't cook anything was because supposedly you lose some nutrients, but if he eats it more when cooked, than that's what I'll do! I'll mix that with some dandelion greens, blueberries, red bell peppers, and pumpkin. Maybe the colors will finally get him interested again...

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Hold off on anything green until he's showing interest and eating aside from your herbs. Once he's eating them regularly go ahead and slowly add some greens back in. :) Good luck and let me know how it goes!

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I haven't been able to go to the store but I'm 100% going tonight. Bad news is, this dude is now refusing to eat pumpkin... something I thought he actually liked. :x He's still over there, munching away on the few remaining pellets. After they're gone, I'm going to try and crush a few of them up and mix them in with his new salads in hopes of getting him interested, since the pellets are literally the only thing he will eat besides insects.

Question... exactly how long should I "starve" him for? I've gone almost 2 weeks once and just fed him a few roaches in between, but even after 2 weeks he refused to eat salads. Should I go longer than that? Maybe take out his insects for a week too? I hate having to do this but he's given me no choice... I just don't want to sound cruel and awful by refusing to feed him what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom