Extreme diarrhea

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Leo just pooped today after not pooping for maybe 3-5 days, which is off from his usual bowel movement schedule of every 2-3 days. He went while I was still asleep, probably 2-5 hours after his light came on at 6:30 am.

Nothing has changed in his husbandry whatsoever, and suddenly the entire cage is covered in a smelly mess. I’m not kidding, it was everywhere. Here is a picture after the chunks had been cleaned up:
1699117453775.jpeg

What could have caused this?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Didn't Leo have diarrhea just a couple of months back?
Luis was having diarrhea on and off when he was having pinworms :/

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Didn't Leo have diarrhea just a couple of months back?
Luis was having diarrhea on and off when he was having pinworms :/
Yes, he had a diarrhea problem a while back where it was almost daily… he was treated for pinworm (without enema) when I got him but the issues started a few months later. I took him in for another fecal which came back clean a couple months ago when the diarrhea happened every time he pooped.

I changed my UVB tube that had gotten a bit old and changed his supplementation schedule which seemed to fix it some, but now he has it about once every few weeks. I’ve stopped giving him squash to down his water intake but that hasn’t changed a thing.

Would you think he has it again?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yes, I remember, wasn't that the time you started feeding superworms as well?!

Puh, if you had a fecal done that recently and at the time it was more severe...I'd guess he's probably fine but when in doubt it's better to be safe then sorry.

Luis is really well hydrated but his poop is solid. He passes a lot of....just plain brownish water really, along with a solid saussage (or two).

This was his first diarrhea for the past couple of months?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Yes, I remember, wasn't that the time you started feeding superworms as well?!

Puh, if you had a fecal done that recently and at the time it was more severe...I'd guess he's probably fine but when in doubt it's better to be safe then sorry.

Luis is really well hydrated but his poop is solid. He passes a lot of....just plain brownish water really, along with a solid saussage (or two).

This was his first diarrhea for the past couple of months?
It happened before I began giving superworms

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Try giving some liquid or powdered bromelain, to help with GI distress & digestion.
What type of gutloads/foods do you give the superworms right now?

Tracie

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello,

Try giving some liquid or powdered bromelain, to help with GI distress & digestion.
What type of gutloads/foods do you give the superworms right now?

Tracie
Superworms get collard greens and dandelion greens, I usually throw kale into the mix but I ran out a bit ago and haven’t gotten to shopping yet. Crickets get the same, though today when I cleaned the cricket tank I found a very moldy cucumber that had been recently nibbled on under a piece of cardboard. Could that have caused it?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, those greens should be perfectly fine. I don't think that the piece of cucumber which was moldy
wouldn't cause that type of distress, but I can't guarantee it. I would recommend also feeding your
insects an organic dry feed. Organic chicken laying mash labeled non genetically modified is very
nutritious, high in minerals, etc & balanced protein. Insects do very well on it, so you could feed the
vegetation & dry feed for them.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom