EXPIRED TOPIC: DO NOT REPLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am SO WORRIED as a new beardie mom and EVERYTHING on the internet is telling me what I am doing is wrong and all have different info!!! someone PLEASE tell me EXACTLY what i need to change, whats going on, and what i can do for my baby!!!!

I have questions if someone wouldn't mind answering; My bearded dragon has been sleeping alot lately and been sluggish - is she about to shed? Could she be trying to go into brumation? Is she sick? I've been feeding her (she's a female) a balanced diet of greens and veggies, crickets and meal worms (although she hasn't been alot and she prefers the bugs to her veggies- i try to make her eat her veggies first)for a 12-13 month old bearded dragon regularly and giving her enough proper uva uvb light(and natural light) and all of my bulbs are new- she doesn't drink much water (ive only ever seen her drink from drops i put on her nose ONCE since we got her a month ago) so Ive been offering it to her via syringe every chance i get (she gets mad at me haha) and been giving her daily baths/soaks- (maybe its an issue with water quality?-ive been using strickly tap water (hard water in SanDiego CA i think))she has been pooping regularly so it isn't impaction and i have been trying to get her out for natural sunlight and exercise/cuddling every chance I get (she's in a glass tank and i can imagine how boring it can get in there) she's got a cool end of her tank which stays around 76-80 and her basking end of the tank at around 86-98 : i have attempted to adjust both temperatures a bit higher just in case they were too cold but she opens her mouth (which is a sign she's trying to cool off) and have since gone back to her normal temps- (she had recently upgraded to a larger tank with a branch, her log hide her water "tub" and her salad bowl that is tegreshed daily and with plenty of room to dig and move around in ) she is a very colorful citrus dragon and her colors have been looking dull/greyish lately which is why I suspect shedding- could she just be overly exhausted? Her red warming bulb stays on all night and her mvb AND basking bulb are on during the day- does she need COMPLETE darkness to sleep properly? could someone "shed" (haha) some light on this for me please? Ive also been told that kale and meal worms are bad for beardies- but this was what Noodle's previous owner had used (in addition to the loose wood chips that we use for her tank- she has sometimes eaten a bit of it but it always comes out in her poop) - can she be going into brumation?

I am SO WORRIED as a new beardie mom and EVERYTHING on the internet is telling me what I am doing is wrong and all have different info (i also use mercury vapor uvb/uva/heat bulb btw) someone PLEASE tell me EXACTLY what i need to change, whats going on, and what i can do for my baby!!!!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
There is a lot of info on this site & others will be able to answer your questions. The red bulbs are not good, she needs complete darkness to sleep. The digital probe thermometer will give you the correct temperature. The stick on dial ones are no good. I do drip water from an eye dropper to give mine water, he does not drink from a bowl. I don't even put one in his tank anymore.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, definitely get rid of the wood chips, they can cause impaction. I used the the carpet for a while, then I switched to the non adhesive shelf liner. So much easier for cleaning. Some people use tile. You will find many answers & pictures when you do a search on this site. It's nice to see so many ideas about tank setups.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there , I agree with Terry. make those adjustments for starters and get the non adhesive shelf liner to replace the wood chips ASAP. Some chips may get lodged + over time accumulate to a dangerous amount even if she's still pooing now.

Stop the baths completely unless she's dirty or else just do so about 1-2X a month. Baths will not hydrate her unless she's drinking from them and so it may be adding to her stress. She will drink from the dropper if she gets thirsty.

Only handle her every other day for a short time.....she's still getting used to everything new, and the former owners may not have taken her out very much. Just let her get in a routine. Fer greens, offer turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion and squash. A little kale mixed in is O.K, but should not be the staple. Hopefully she'll settle in soon + become a happy. healthy family member. :)

NoodlesMommy

Original Poster
Terry15":206kxziv said:
There is a lot of info on this site & others will be able to answer your questions. The red bulbs are not good, she needs complete darkness to sleep. The digital probe thermometer will give you the correct temperature. The stick on dial ones are no good. I do drip water from an eye dropper to give mine water, he does not drink from a bowl. I don't even put one in his tank anymore.

When I first posted this- I also posted it in a few other sections of the forum because I was anxious to get answers: i have posted pictures and more info and some answers to your questions on my other thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=234428

Could reply on that section?-that way i can condense all this new info together- :D your help and would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom