Experienced people only Please.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

Before you all read this, if all of you all go by what the book says to do, you shouldnt probably read this, but anyways.

Uhm, I've got 2 beardies. And well, my little 4 month old is getting to big for his tank and can't hardly move around any at all. Hes 10 almost 11 inches long and fat as a bear. My other one, is 18 inches long and around 10 months old, recently for the past week ive been putting them together in the huge tank i have to see how they react. My little lizard isn't scared of anything, he usually runs and jumps on the big one's back and they bask together. But after 20 or 30 minutes the big one will run and jump in front of the little one and bobble his head showing aggression and dominance i suppose, but does nothing else. My little one also shows dominance by waving his hand ya know, but what im asking him that i want your straight answer, i dont want your opinion that everyone reads off the instructions or what someone has said, i want to know from only the people who has experienced this.. Can i just let them live together? At night ill put them seperate but im wanting to keep them together all day without supervision while im at college and stuff. I know all sites say that you shouldnt let them be around each other, but its a funny thing every single pet store ive been to they are always living together with atleast 10 in a tank and never any problems. in fact, my big beardie lived with 4 other dragons. So whats your opinion, if i keep them seperated at night and feed them in different tanks, think i should have a problem? Once again, experienced people only please.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your 18" beardie absolutely can and probably will eat the smaller one. If he doesn't eat it, he will probably maim it so that it dies anyway....it's a very high chance. I've seen it happen at reptile shows that I've vended at, and it happens quickly.

jabronie

no, do NOT house them together. why would you? its not like they are hanging out. and you should have known about tank sizes before you got them. you need at least a 40 gallon breeder once they get past like 8 inches or so.

Tanner

Original Poster
AHBD":36vly6t2 said:
Your 18" beardie absolutely can and probably will eat the smaller one. If he doesn't eat it, he will probably maim it so that it dies anyway....it's a very high chance. I've seen it happen at reptile shows that I've vended at, and it happens quickly.

SO, you dont think the 18" one that lived together for 2 months with no problems at all, changes anything? I just had them together for 2 hours and no problem began to occur.

Tanner

Original Poster
jabronie":2ouenik0 said:
no, do NOT house them together. why would you? its not like they are hanging out. and you should have known about tank sizes before you got them. you need at least a 40 gallon breeder once they get past like 8 inches or so.

Have you ever tried it?

bambichik39

Juvie Member
There are MANY people who have experience on here where they did the same thing, as they were misinformed, not irresponsible. They can go a few days, or even a few weeks before the damage is done. They are solitary animals, why don't people understand that? Especially with the size difference! Look around on here with the beardies missing limbs and half of their tails. Its from other beardies! I'm not trying to be rude, its just you know the answer, and you don't want to hear it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Tanner....if you go to the health forum, look at the sticky thread entitled " Cohabitation, a good idea ?" It's right at the top. There you will see the results that many times occur, mutilated beardies. So that's the risk you take. And I have raised babies for many years, and even the siblings that are the same size can and do take a toe, a tail tip or more in one greedy little bite.

Tanner

Original Poster
bambichik39":wsvv9qta said:
There are MANY people who have experience on here where they did the same thing, as they were misinformed, not irresponsible. They can go a few days, or even a few weeks before the damage is done. They are solitary animals, why don't people understand that? Especially with the size difference! Look around on here with the beardies missing limbs and half of their tails. Its from other beardies! I'm not trying to be rude, its just you know the answer, and you don't want to hear it.

Im not trying to be rude, all you people that abide by the rules, explain how the hell pet shops do it? Explain them out in the wild. People want to act smart on here and say stuff they have read but have never tried out.

Tanner

Original Poster
AHBD":3j7khfug said:
Hi Tanner....if you go to the health forum, look at the sticky thread entitled " Cohabitation, a good idea ?" It's right at the top. There you will see the results that many times occur, mutilated beardies. So that's the risk you take. And I have raised babies for many years, and even the siblings that are the same size can and do take a toe, a tail tip or more in one greedy little bite.

Ok thanks

Esther19

BD.org Addict
On this website under the Health tab, there is an article near the top entitled, "Is beardie cohabitation a good plan?" This might help, if the previous posters haven't managed to convince you.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like you have your mind made up.

There are very experienced people telling you what the right thing to do is.

Tanner":2fvbmrvt said:
Im not trying to be rude, all you people that abide by the rules, explain how the hell pet shops do it? Explain them out in the wild. People want to act smart on here and say stuff they have read but have never tried out.

I'll explain to you how pet shops do it, it's pretty simple: they sell tons of nipped babies and sick animals, if they get sick before they sell, they kill them. Babies eat other babies' limbs, look in the for sale section, there are tons of 'discounted' dragons who have been nipped by a sibbling.

As for how they do it in the wild? They have plenty of room to run around, they're not stuck in a 2' X 4' enclosure with no room to get away. It's a poor idea, the only person that it benefits is you.. it's not helpful to the animal, they don't like company, they aren't social animals. In the wild if a dragon comes up to it, it attacks it, usually the weaker one will then flee, however - you're not giving the weaker one miles and miles to get away to. It may not happen in a couple of hours, it may not happen in a day, week, or month. But, it will happen - and you will come home to a pretty nasty sight when it does.. sorry, that's just how it is.

BUT, like I said, it sounds like you're looking for somebody to tell you that it is perfectly fine and go ahead and house them together, so for the sake of saving everybody else's breath - Go ahead, house them together... they'll be fine :roll: :lol: :wink:

Tanner

Original Poster
kjinxx2":xordgx45 said:
It sounds like you have your mind made up.

There are very experienced people telling you what the right thing to do is.

Tanner":xordgx45 said:

I'll explain to you how pet shops do it, it's pretty simple: they sell tons of nipped babies and sick animals, if they get sick before they sell, they kill them. Babies eat other babies' limbs, look in the for sale section, there are tons of 'discounted' dragons who have been nipped by a sibbling.

As for how they do it in the wild? They have plenty of room to run around, they're not stuck in a 2' X 4' enclosure with no room to get away. It's a poor idea, the only person that it benefits is you.. it's not helpful to the animal, they don't like company, they aren't social animals. In the wild if a dragon comes up to it, it attacks it, usually the weaker one will then flee, however - you're not giving the weaker one miles and miles to get away to. It may not happen in a couple of hours, it may not happen in a day, week, or month. But, it will happen - and you will come home to a pretty nasty sight when it does.. sorry, that's just how it is.

BUT, like I said, it sounds like you're looking for somebody to tell you that it is perfectly fine and go ahead and house them together, so for the sake of saving everybody else's breath - Go ahead, house them together... they'll be fine :roll: :lol: :wink:

I still dont know what im going to do. But that being said, i know its not enough, But i have a 12 foot tank built in my wall, and the fixtures on each side of the tanks so they aren't always in each other's faces aggravating each other. But you all can be inappropriate word removed by moderator all you want, im asking a honest question that i wanted people that has tried it before or seen it tried to tell me. Not the ones who does everything they hear or read.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
You're totally right, my brother and I actually used to share a room when we were kids and the beds were on opposite sides of the room.. we never fought! ;) We have all seen cases on these forums, there was actually a recent post with graphic images.

Listen, if you're going to start the name calling then I guarantee that the 'experienced people' will find some other people to help. Nobody is calling you names.

With that being said, I'm sure you can find a way to split your 12' tank in two and house both of them separately. That's a common thing to do.

slavetoIzzie

Sub-Adult Member
You have been answered by experienced people, but you don't like what they said. By the way, waving isn't showing dominance, it's showing submission.

Tanner

Original Poster
kjinxx2":13acwwdm said:
You're totally right, my brother and I actually used to share a room when we were kids and the beds were on opposite sides of the room.. we never fought! ;) We have all seen cases on these forums, there was actually a recent post with graphic images.

Listen, if you're going to start the name calling then I guarantee that the 'experienced people' will find some other people to help. Nobody is calling you names.

With that being said, I'm sure you can find a way to split your 12' tank in two and house both of them separately. That's a common thing to do.

You're being a smartass when i suggest thing's so yea im going to call you names. And yea, honestly ive tried around my town to find a tank divided to fit my tank. 12' long, 40 inches wide. I can't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom