Exo Terra Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omunall

I have a question. I understand using sand is bad for the dragons if they eat inside the enclosure, but would the sand be good to use if you feed them outside of it, and their salads are in shallow trays? I'm just curious, i never put a floor into my enclosure as of yet (a baby dragon, it's a bit easier to watch scat and such with just the gladd, for the first four weeks).

I'm just not familiar with the behavior of the reptile, if the sand will harm it if it' not eating off of sand.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
There's no right or wrong answer, but what most will say is to avoid it regardless. Most lizards explore by 'tasting' their surroundings, so there is still a chance they will ingest some.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
If your baby is anything like mine, they'll still eat it.

Mine frequently drop bits of salad out of their bowl then eat it off the floor. They get so enthusiastic "attacking" their salads, they sometimes bite the bowl it's in. Mine have attempted to bite rocks and often try to eat pictures on their newspaper. Like a lot of other babies, they tend to explore things with their mouths.

I'm not up to date on newer "reptile sands," but historically, they're the worst offenders.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
It really depends on your individual beardie. Mine "tastes" just about everything by flicking his tongue at it. We joke that he's like Barty Crouch Jr. from Harry Potter with his constant tongue flicking. So I definitely wouldn't use sand with him. Some beardies do significantly less "tasting", so it might be safe for them to be on sand, though I think most people will still recommend only using sand for adult dragons. Their digestive systems are better able to handle it if they do occasionally ingest some. Small beardies are very easily impacted.

Omunall

Original Poster
Thanks! That's all i needed to hear. I figured if i don't feed in the enclosure, then it wouldn't be much of an issue...butn ow that i think of it, every time i've taken her out, she has either licked my hands or bit my pants, so hearing that they do this normally...well i'll just throw the sand away or something. Maybe save it for some hermits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom