Exo Terra latch help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have an Exo Terra 36x18x18'' with front opening doors. The latch for the doors broke recently (a plastic piece holding a spring broke). It's not a huge deal but I'd like to try and fix it. I just don't know exactly where to glue the plastic piece back. If anyone has one of the exo-terra enclosures, could you take a photo of the latch mechanism for me? It's easy to access, you just unclip the back plastic piece under where the door closes and lift it up and out. The latch mechanism is visible inside once that piece is removed. It's a plastic arm with a small elbow shaped spring and a plastic rod that the spring sits on. I'm interested in where the plastic rod should be to allow movement of the spring. Here is a photo of what mine looks like (with expoxy from failed repair attempts). Thanks!

3494cgy.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you contacted exo-terra (parent company is Hagen)? They may have service/replacement parts available. Plastics tend to be a chore to try and repair.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I did but all they could tell me is how to remove the back plastic piece.
"If you open the doors and look at the back of the plastic bar where the latch is you will see this piece can be popped out. It will then expose the area where the spring goes. One end of the spring attaches to the back of the door latch and the other end is attached to part of the plastic. I am sorry there is no diagram that I could send to you."

I have some plastic epoxy that seems to hold the piece pretty well, but am having a hard time finding where the piece originally was. Since it's off a bit, it snaps again when I close the latch because the force on the spring is at a different angle than it was designed for.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Bummer. They were pretty helpful for me recently (needed to replace some clips for my lights). Wonder if you could ask specifically for a replacement?

Can the mechanism be seen from outside or do you need to open the door? I have a exo-terra nano - if the latch is the same id be happy to try and get a picture for you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah I was at least hoping for a schematic - that would have been enough for me to repair it properly if it's even possible. I'm just not sure where to put the plastic bit so it's balanced when the spring pushes against it. I've made a few guesses with no luck. The latch mechanism can't be seen without removing the rear plastic piece. I'm not sure if it's the same mechanism used on their other models. It's not a huge deal, I don't really need to lock the doors. It's just a nagging little detail that bugs me =).

reptil

I have exactly the same problem. The plastic rod that goes with the latch has got broken and I can't figure out how to put back the spring.
I would appreciate if anyone could send us pictures of the spring mecanism in its right position.
Thanks in advance.

reptil

Luckily, after thinking for a while, I got the solution for this issue.
Here you have a picture of the latch after mending the spring:
efgai0.jpg

To substitute the broken plastic rod I have used a screw I happen to find at home with more or less the same diameter than the former rod:
9a3dsm.jpg

Just do a hole through the plastic frame of the front door (see image) at the same point where the plastic rod was before getting broken. You can guess where is that point because from inside the terrarium you can see a rounded shaped mark that betrays the previous location of the rod. Pass the screw through the hole and the rim of the spring:
6tco0m.jpg

Now my latch is working as brand new.
I hope this was useful for all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom