Excited! Dubias! Set up Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynevar

Juvie Member
I am getting the Sterlite container ready for my dubia shipment. I want to make sure my temps etc are all good before they get here. I have two UTH (Under tank heaters) for it. I have cleaned the inside with the same cleaner I use to clean my guys tanks... I am letting it dry. Then I am going to put the strip of packing tape around the top, I have nothing but nymphs coming. :shock: No ESCAPEES must be allowed... :shock:

But what I am trying to figure out is how to get the container dark. It is a clear container. I also have a big rubbermaid rough tote type, but have heard that those are a LOT more climbable and the sides are ridged so it won't be as easy to heat with the UTH? So then I was thinking to make it dark I could cover it with paper, but then I wouldn't want the UTH close to the paper. Then I was thinking paint. But then I was thinking if I put paint on it wouldn't want to put the UTH on top of the paint, so put the UTH and then paint it? What if I had to move the UTH? SHEESH! I also bid on some human heating pads so I hope I win those. So, that being said what is the best one to use? Oh, I don't have anywhere to put it that's dark, so I need to have some way to darken the outside if I use the clear one.

I also went and got water crystals today! I feel like a kid at Christmas! Getting ready for this is so exciting. HA... I wonder if it is because it is almost scary. LOL That many "roaches" GAH! LOL I think I will be OVER the fear factor pretty quick once I see my lil guys munchin like mad. I will get a small humidity guage and I have the temp gun to check temps.

I want to set it up with water crystals and all and see if I can't get a good heat and correct humidity going ahead of their arrival so I am not messing around with heat too much when they get here.

I am also going to make some roach chow and have been reading tons of roach chow recipes. I think my mind is reeling with dubia info now. GAHHHHH!

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
I have my colony in a rough type tub and just used 2 levels of clear packing tape around the top and have never had any escapees. The only time they try and climb up is during cleaning time and that's only the little babies and they never make it past that first layer of tape. If you do want to keep with the clear one you can paint the outside with black paint, just don't paint the bottom where the heating mat will go. When I got my first shipment I had adults in it too and was pretty freaked out at seeing them for the first time but you get used to it and now I will sit there and watch them.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I will go with the rough tote and do the two levels of tape...Less work than trying to paint, and it won't cost me anything :D

I am just mind boggled here trying to figure it all out.

What do you feed yours?

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
Since I have dogs that have allergies I just use their food. It has no fillers so is higher quality with good protein source. The brand is Nature's Variety but you can even use Purina One Beyond which is easier on the wallet if you don't have dogs or cats already. I blend that with cheerios, rolled oats, brown sugar, dried banana chips, dried powdered milk, and texturized vegetable protein. They love sweet things so I sweeten it up to attract them, add the healthy protein stuff, then the rolled oats is to help keep the moisture down so it doesn't go bad so fast.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I can sometimes get dried banana chips at Walmart for very cheap! I'll have to get them from now on. I know my mom gets them whenever she sees them so I think I'll ask her if she has an extra bag. I have some protein powder, wonder how that would do for them? I also have a TON of sesame seeds that I should use, so I can grind those up. I read those are good to put in chow too. I have the tub cleaned, I need to get some egg flats... or at least egg cartons. I'll see if I can't find some of those somewhere. I was thinking of asking one of the restaurants if they will save them for me.

So I have it mostly ready to go, just need to put the screen in tomorrow and ta daaaaa! Tired... guess I better get some rest.

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
Don't use human protein powder as it's not the same, it has a bunch of other stuff for our system. I got all my stuff from my local health food store in bulk so was cheap. I believe it was called Kiva but if you call around there may be one like it in your downtown area. Ask any of your local breakfast restaurants like IHop or Denny's. My Denny's saved their egg flats and I collected once a week. I have close to a hundred of them for free in a month.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will check about the protein powder.

We don't have a Denny's but I will ask the local two restaurants that are big on breakfasts if they will save me their egg flats. I should be able to get a few that way!

I think I am going to get some drink carriers for the first batch of babies I get. Since I don't know if I will have enough time to get egg flats, but I can try anyhow.

What do you think about an organic cereal that has pumpkin seed and flax seeds in it for mixing up? I see a lot of people using honey nut cheerios, I think this would be a good alternative for that.

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
That shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure whatever you are giving your roaches is safe for the dragons to eat too. The oranges some say are too minimal to make a difference in their system but to be on the safe side don't offer within 24hrs of giving to your dragon.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am working on my roach chow right now. I have oatmeal, dragon pellets (they never would touch em, figured why not grind them up), just 1 cup of the cereal, some sesame seeds... still debating on the dog food..... I have some super gutloader chow from beardeddragon.co and some cricket mash from mulberry farms that I was thinking of throwing in there.

ohhhh choices choices choices....

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I would BUY a chow, but right now my expenses are adding up and my hubby is raising his eyebrow. So, once I have proven the dubias are worth it, then it will be easier to get him on board.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Question.... I read somewhere that you should NEVER use the under tank heaters on the plastic containers. What is your experience with this? It has me nervous now. I have some human heating pads coming. Worried about those on the linoleum floors. Which is where it would go. I guess I could get some carpet to go under it. hmmmmm thoughts?

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
I used an adjustable under the tank heater. You can attach it to a rheostat to further adjust the temperature. The concern that people have is that some get really hot. I have not had that problem. I had the Catalina Adjustable Heater and made it so it wasn't sticky on the bottom so it wouldn't attach itself permanently to the bottom. I then used foil tape which you can get at Home Depot, and taped just the edges of the pad to the bottom of the tub. It never got hot enough to melt plastic. I've since upgraded to Flexwatt heat tape which gives a more adjustable, even, and consistent heat output.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay checking temps now... seeing what they are after an hour or so... if they are skyrocketing then I'll freak... see if maybe I can get a human pad on freecycle... GAH!

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Have my chow made is a combination of a bunch of great info I have gotten from members, researching online and recipes from the board:

quality dog food not a huge amount
ground organic oats
ground barley
ground organic flax and pumpkin seed granola
ground sesame seeds
powdered milk
ground honey nut cheerios
ground organic dried banana chips
a scoop of spirulina, read that has a TON of protein.
ground bearded dragon dry food pellets
super gutloader chow
cricket mash (just a little)
baby rice cereal with banana
I think that's it..... maybe?

I have 4 lbs, that ought to last me a bit? What do you guys think, should I add anything else?

A friend also dropped off some HVAC tape for me! I love great friends! I am going to make a dinner for him and his kiddos sometime this week. He also hooked me up with the screen for the top of my lid.

YAY!

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay so I have been a busy lady...

Here is what I have thus far:

Inside:

setup by ynevar, on Flickr

Double barrier:

barrier by ynevar, on Flickr

Screen: (I used a TON of glue. I don't think that a single one can get through the glue barrier should they get up that far hahaha)

screen by ynevar, on Flickr

Heating until I can get my human heating pad or the very cool heating tape that is thin and you can cut to size. I will monitor temps closely and get a dimmer switch if need be until then.

heat by ynevar, on Flickr

Chow is done! 4 lbs of chow is MADE ready!

chow by ynevar, on Flickr

Add to this a hungry beardie.... or two! Just waiting on shipment!

hungry baby by ynevar, on Flickr

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom