Excessive hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

raw98682

Ever since we moved into our new home Jake doesn't come out of his hiding spot. We gave him a couple weeks to get adjusted to his new surroundings. Then he started shedding, so we let him hide longer. But now it's been two months in our home and he refuses to come out of hiding. I have to pull him out to eat and I know he's not getting any UV rays or heat, so that can't be good for him. I block off the entrance to his cave every other day, so he can at least get some UV rays, eat, and poop. But he gets really upset with me for blocking it off and tries everything he can to get in there.
He's three years old, his tank is at the perfect heat, everything is the way it's supposed to be. We've had him for a couple years and this is all new behavior. I need help! I just want my little guy to be happy...

raw98682

Original Poster
It's summer here.
He has brumated before... hmm, do you think it could be that?
The UVB bulb is 2 months old.
I've never had a fecal test run on him. What are some possibilities with that?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I suggest fecal tests if not twice a year at least once before Winter when most brumate.
Beardies can get all types of parasites because they eat live feeders.

Most won't brumate other than in the Winter when the temps drop and the daylight hours shorten. What time of year was it when he last brumated?

When you say perfect heat what is that basking temp at? Adult beardies tend to like basking temps a bit lower than younger beardies. If they are to high or to low it would cause this type of behavoir.

Wait one last question what type, brand, and wattage of UVB bulb are you using?

raw98682

Original Poster
I suppose it was around this time of year when he brumated last. I didn't even consider that before you asked. It seems very odd that he would brumate in the summer.

Basking temp is 100-110. I use a Reptisun 10.0

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Most beardies won't brumate until the days shorten and temps drop a bit, but I've seen stranger.

Okay you said temps range in your basking spot from 100* to 110*??? Do you notice him wanting to hide more when it's to the hotter range? My adults will not bask they will hide on the cool end if their temps hit anything above 101*...just a thought. :wink:

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that your little guy is suffering from relocation stress, due to your moving into a new home!

Even though his tank is probably exactly the same as it was in your other home, the location is different, and what he sees when he's out of his hide no longer seems like home to him! This may sound completely nuts to you, but, for him, the different surroundings are a very big change, and, if he's like most beardies, the new surroundings are going to take some getting used to before he feels comfortable again.

Beardies are creatures of habit, and any changes in their surroundings or their normal routine are very stressful to them, so my guess is that your little one is neither trying to brumate, or sick, but is just using his hide as an escape from unfamiliar surroundings.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it, other than just giving him some time to adjust to the changes outside of his tank. However, since he seems to be using his hide as an escape from the changes in his habitat, I would take it out, at least during the day, which will force him to get used to his new surroundings eventually, whether he wants to or not. You can still put it back in there for him to sleep in, at night, so that he feels safe.

If I'm right, and this is, indeed, relocation stress, then you should see a marked change in his eating habits and behavior in 2-3 weeks. If you're not home during the day, and he's there by himself, it may help for you to take an old T-shirt and wear it around for a couple of days, so it has your scent on it. Then, without laundering it, wad it up and toss it in one of the corners of his tank. It will smell like you, and he may find that comforting when you're not there to protect him from all the "big, bad changes" in his surroundings right now.

Once you remove his hide, it may take him a week or two to relax in his new surroundings, but what you're seeing is completely normal. Just give him some time, and lots of extra attention when you are home, and he should be just fine as soon as he adjusts to all of the changes.

Hope these suggestions help, and Congratulations on your new home!

raw98682

Original Poster
fresnowitte":25iz9omd said:
Most beardies won't brumate until the days shorten and temps drop a bit, but I've seen stranger.

Okay you said temps range in your basking spot from 100* to 110*??? Do you notice him wanting to hide more when it's to the hotter range? My adults will not bask they will hide on the cool end if their temps hit anything above 101*...just a thought. :wink:

We've tried different temps from 90-110. 100 really seems to be about the right temp, but there aren't any changes in his behavior between the varying temps. He just hides no matter what. :(

Denise Bushnell":25iz9omd said:
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that your little guy is suffering from relocation stress, due to your moving into a new home!

Possibly... but it has been about 2 months. I would think he'd be over it by now? Also, you said to give him extra attention; is that through taking him out of his tank or through petting him and not picking him up? I don't want to pick him up if that scares him!

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Actually, doing both of the things that you mentioned above will probably help! Even though you've been in your new home for two months, if he's been using his hide to escape from the unfamiliar things that he sees when he's out and about in his tank, then he really hasn't had all that much exposure to his new surroundings.

I think that taking out the hide, during the daylight hours, is the best way to make him adjust, whether he likes it or not. Sooner or later, he'll realize that although what he sees around him is a lot different than his view of the world in his other home, that there really is nothing to fear. Also, giving him some closely supervised "out time" to wander around and explore the room that his tank is kept in, while you're close by to "save him" by reassuring him about anything that he finds frightening, will help a great deal. I would guess that 2-3 weeks of his tank, without his hide, during the day, along with allowing him to explore his new surroundings will eventually result in his going back to his normal behavior, rather than spending all his time sleeping to "get away from it all".

If you don't see a marked improvement in both his activity levels and his appetite in two or three weeks, then I would recommend a vet appointment, just to rule out that he doesn't have any health issues going on that could be causing his symptoms. Beardies are very adept at hiding their symptoms when they don't feel well, and sometimes, by the time that you realize that there is some sort of a health problem going on, they are actually very sick.
However, in this particular instance, I'd be willing to bet that he's simply using his hide to escape from the unfamiliar surroundings, because he doesn't feel as safe in his tank, because everything he sees from inside it looks so different to him. They can be absolute little stinkers when it comes to any sort of change in their routines or surroundings.

I would put his hide back in there every night for him, about a half hour before lights out, so that he feels safe enough to get his proper rest, since you don't want lack of sleep to hamper his immune system, but take it out when you turn on his lights in the morning.
This will keep him from using his hide to "get away from it all", and force him to adjust to the changes much more quickly. Just give him some time, and a lot of extra attention for the next week or two, and you should see a marked improvement in his behavior and his appetite. If you don't, then have him checked out by your vet, to make sure nothing is amiss.

Please drop me a line or two in a couple of weeks, and let me know how he's doing! I really hope that my theory is correct, and that my suggestions help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom