Excessive glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there

So Daenerys is about 15 months old now, and her behaviour has just all of a sudden drastically changed.
She's been incredibly chill up until recently. She would use to spend the day basking, relaxing, moving around and inspecting the viv, generally being laid-back and lazy.

She's recently started glass-surfing, a lot. Every single morning, about half an hour after her lights turn on, she'll start and usually won't stop until the evening hits in. She'll take short breaks to bask and relax but she'll get right back to it. I've taken her out for long runs around the room, which she's become suddenly very confident about exploring (she climbs everything, runs around like she owns the place). After about fifteen minutes of charging about my bedroom I'll return her to the viv, she'll bask for maybe ten minutes and then gets right back at it again.

Nothing about her enclosure has changed, she's in a 4ft wooden viv, I have a thermometer at either end and the temp gradient is as it should be, she's not exhibiting any dark colours or dark rings on her belly, she's always her brightest, most vivid colours.

As she's in my room, it's incredibly irritating when I try to sleep, especially on my days off when I don't have to get up early and want my well-earned lie-in. Her lights come on at 7am, and from about 7:30 onwards the glass-surfing begins.

She's eating fine, hasn't seemed to change weight, just finished a shed of her head about a week ago, hasn't changed her attitude towards me (shes still super friendly and easy to handle). She hasn't had a BM for a while, which is a bit unusual, but she has a habit of waiting for bath time before she goes.

Her behaviour has just been very erratic of late, she seems incredibly restless and energetic. Her father was an absolute nuisance when it came to glass-surfing. I only saw him for a brief half hour when I went to pick Dany up from the breeder but during that short time he managed to drive me nearly insane with his glass-surfing, he was relentless (and quite a large, heavy lad) and apparently it was something he'd always done, so I'm not sure if it's an inherited trait or something.

Either way, it's become very annoying, and I'm concerned as it's only just started happening and I'm not sure what to do about it, or what's even causing it. No amount of free-roam exercise makes her stop, the only solution I have found that seems to work is covering the viv with a blanket. It seems that when she can't see out of the viv, and can't see me, she stops, however I can still hear her moving around quite a bit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she's just going through a phase. It's probably caused by hormones and will die down a bit after a while and she'll return to normal. This tends to happen when they reach an equivalent of teen age. It also seems to happen when they come out of brumation. My guy is going nuts now too and did the same thing last year after brumation. Keep giving her space to run around and explore but otherwise there isn't a whole lot to do but know that it should calm down eventually and isn't a permanent thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom