excessive diarrhea

halomtano

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Guafi
hey all, i meant to make this post sooner but i got covid (im immunocomprimised so i didnt have a great time). now that im better i can sit down and make this post, because i really need help. this is pretty long again.

guafi is not eating anything besides bugs. i cant convince her to eat salads even with all the methods ive found online, and she wont even eat her favorite fruits and squash. despite this she is pooping 2-3 times a day. this has been going on for over a month now. i brought her to the vet with her stool sample, no parasites, no obvious reason why, told me when i saw something pink sticking out of her vent that it should be no concern. she said that it just happens when straining sometimes. important to note that she has no impaction, and is not egg-bound or getting ready to lay whenever i feel her belly. there is nothing hard in her abdomen. (shes also never laid eggs before to my knowledge.)

i am now concerned because her vent is sticking out more (im guessing her internal organs) when she poops, i want to say a over a quarter of an inch. i first saw it on monday and i freaked out and brought her to the vet ASAP. they couldnt see anything wrong, but put her on .13 ml of metronidazote every 12 hours for 7 doses anyway. those 7 doses have been administered, the only change is that shes only pooping straight liquid and small urates. i know shes dehydrated and i can tell, but she hates when i sprinkle water on her, overturns her waterdish and doesnt drink from it (never has), and is so stressed out by baths that she poops two more times after being in them. i will still give her one today because i dont know what else i can do, but it doesnt seem to help her much.

she is also glass surfing constantly. her humidity gague is around 32% regularly, her heat is at 90 on warm side, 80 on cool side, i took out everything in her tank that might be stressing her out, but she still is glass surfing and bumping her nose on the glass. she has never had this problem before, but she even glass surfs my window now. she also has started digging everywhere she can except the hides i give her. im guessing its from the stress of this, and probably the medicine stressed her out even more because of how much she hated it.

(hopefully) attached is the images i just took (im on mobile and i cant tell if i did it correctly), the swelling went down soon after and it went back to normal, so the images are what i managed to take. you can still clearly see the vent swelling, which i know has never happened before this and is not normal. i also attached what it looks like after.

my vet does not have any advice besides to monitor her, because whenever i bring her in they cannot see anything wrong. when i do call with questions one of the vet techs ask the people who work with beardies about my concerns, tell me to bring her in, and the cycle keeps repeating. the vets so busy that she has no time to actually talk to me, just what she observes. its also a drop-off clinic so i dont stay for the checkups, they call me afterwards. from what ive been reading i know its possible for them to have a prolapse from too much diarrhea/straining, and im scared thats going to happen to my girl.

has anyone had this happen, or have any advice? what can i do? i dont know if i should find another vet or just try to do what i can myself.

Attachments

• 20240309_094134.jpg
    20240309_094134.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240309_094137.jpg
    20240309_094137.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240309_094208.jpg
    20240309_094208.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240309_103606.jpg
    20240309_103606.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240309_103612.jpg
    20240309_103612.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 28

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hey all, i meant to make this post sooner but i got covid (im immunocomprimised so i didnt have a great time). now that im better i can sit down and make this post, because i really need help. this is pretty long again.

guafi is not eating anything besides bugs. i cant convince her to eat salads even with all the methods ive found online, and she wont even eat her favorite fruits and squash. despite this she is pooping 2-3 times a day. this has been going on for over a month now. i brought her to the vet with her stool sample, no parasites, no obvious reason why, told me when i saw something pink sticking out of her vent that it should be no concern. she said that it just happens when straining sometimes. important to note that she has no impaction, and is not egg-bound or getting ready to lay whenever i feel her belly. there is nothing hard in her abdomen. (shes also never laid eggs before to my knowledge.)

i am now concerned because her vent is sticking out more (im guessing her internal organs) when she poops, i want to say a over a quarter of an inch. i first saw it on monday and i freaked out and brought her to the vet ASAP. they couldnt see anything wrong, but put her on .13 ml of metronidazote every 12 hours for 7 doses anyway. those 7 doses have been administered, the only change is that shes only pooping straight liquid and small urates. i know shes dehydrated and i can tell, but she hates when i sprinkle water on her, overturns her waterdish and doesnt drink from it (never has), and is so stressed out by baths that she poops two more times after being in them. i will still give her one today because i dont know what else i can do, but it doesnt seem to help her much.

she is also glass surfing constantly. her humidity gague is around 32% regularly, her heat is at 90 on warm side, 80 on cool side, i took out everything in her tank that might be stressing her out, but she still is glass surfing and bumping her nose on the glass. she has never had this problem before, but she even glass surfs my window now. she also has started digging everywhere she can except the hides i give her. im guessing its from the stress of this, and probably the medicine stressed her out even more because of how much she hated it.

(hopefully) attached is the images i just took (im on mobile and i cant tell if i did it correctly), the swelling went down soon after and it went back to normal, so the images are what i managed to take. you can still clearly see the vent swelling, which i know has never happened before this and is not normal. i also attached what it looks like after.

my vet does not have any advice besides to monitor her, because whenever i bring her in they cannot see anything wrong. when i do call with questions one of the vet techs ask the people who work with beardies about my concerns, tell me to bring her in, and the cycle keeps repeating. the vets so busy that she has no time to actually talk to me, just what she observes. its also a drop-off clinic so i dont stay for the checkups, they call me afterwards. from what ive been reading i know its possible for them to have a prolapse from too much diarrhea/straining, and im scared thats going to happen to my girl.

has anyone had this happen, or have any advice? what can i do? i dont know if i should find another vet or just try to do what i can myself.
Lets have ahbd and Tracie advise on this
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's very likely that she has infertile eggs to lay. It's misinformation passed on the internet that you can feel them, you can't in many cases . If she's glass surfing, digging and passing small amounts of watery stool then she probably needs to lay ASAP. Set up a dig box right away for her. Hopefully she'll be fine but do this right away because she's pretty frantic right now. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

halomtano

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Guafi
It's very likely that she has infertile eggs to lay. It's misinformation passed on the internet that you can feel them, you can't in many cases . If she's glass surfing, digging and passing small amounts of watery stool then she probably needs to lay ASAP. Set up a dig box right away for her. Hopefully she'll be fine but do this right away because she's pretty frantic right now. That's the first thing that comes to mind.
i was running late for work yesterday so i didnt get to respond to your comment, but you were totally right. i put together a dig box and she laid 15 eggs yesterday, i dug all of them up today. dont know how i didnt realize it sooner honestly, but shes never laid eggs before so i didnt consider it when i couldnt feel them in her stomach. now i know what to look out for in the future at least so this doesnt happen again. thank you so much :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh good, she was ready to pop them out and it's good that you got her a box right away. She probably feels so much better. :)
Sometimes after they lay the initial clutch another few stray ones will pop out the next day or so after so don't be surprised if that happens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I was going to respond but my time in the day ran out so I checked this evening & see that she did lay some eggs! I agreed with AHBD that she was most likely going to lay eggs. They tend to have numerous & off colored urates due to hormonal changes prior to laying eggs.
I guess the laybox was just what she needed! Be sure to provide extra calcium for her too so her body can restore its reserves.

Let us know how she is doing!
Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom