Erratic behavior, not eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Please read this whole thing before plastering a list of questions.

Thresh is acting off. Most days she poos before I get up, so when I got up yesterday and she hadn't done it yet, I quickly whisked her off to the sink and gave her a bath-deep enough she could swim but not deep enough she couldn't touch the bottom with all feet. She pooped just fine, I changed the water, she swam/jumped a bit and then I took her out, dried her off well and that was her bath. If she's pooped already she just gets something deep enough to soak the vent and that is that.

But ever since then she has been acting erratic. Mind you, I was home for 2 hours after her bath and she was fine, but hadn't eaten when I left at 11:30. I thought nothing of it, went to work and when I got home after 5(I have been feeling fluish for days so I left early), she was off balance, head low always and nose diving off of high things. Since I had experienced this before with her and with Baron, and partially with Cho, I thought 'okay, give it a day and heat and she'll be better by tomorrow'. I related the weird behavior to the bath, and since I know water in the ears can throw balance, I knew all I had to do before was give it heat and time as that is what I did with my two dragons before that went through similar things.

So we didn't open our window last night, turn the fan on low and kept her warm and flat. This morning she seemed to have perked up, was moving around okay, but still not eating.
And she's still moving erratic. While she will hold her head up now when sitting still, she will still try and nose dive or 'burrow' when she moves
This and she opened her mouth 2-3 times this morning and looked like she was 'heaving'. But no sound with it. After she would lick her lips all happy and go back to sitting still. And it so far has stopped since 8:30 in the morning.(It's 11 now) Her breathing is totally normal, and she looks as alert as she can be with this weird balance thing.

But naturally, I'm worried to death because I don't think I can handle the stress of another dragon getting sick, or dying.

I can try and her a Herp Vet app. tomorrow or Saturday if she hasn't improved and just call into work/switch shifts around if it falls in between the shift. My manager would understand.

I know there are 4 for sure things that could cause this behaviour: Inadequate UVB. Which my light is only 4 months old(reptisun 10.0 tube)(not 6 like I thought). Since I bought it at the end of April, so that doesn't make sense unless the light is defective.
Lack of proper Calcium. Which might make sense with the not dusting with calcium since I've been feeding so many horns(2-3 that are 2-3 inches long per day, with a side of dubai until the end of last week(half of those were always dusted though) and small supers since then, and have no problems with her eating those) but could she be showing these symptoms of MBD even if I haven't been dusting for a little under a week? That's terrifying, if that's the case and I feel so guilty at the thought of it. And if the breeder hadn't been doing it, she should have shown these symptoms much sooner, right?
Neuro problems. But she hasn't had anything happen to her while in my care(falling from a high place, being bonked on the head), to onset this. If it was neuro, wouldn't it have shown sooner?
Or a middle ear infection. I checked both ears and they seem normal. They don't seem inflamed or off colour, not from what I can compare as 'normal' in pictures on google anyways.
But why would this have all started after the bath? I know if water sits on the ear to long it can cause an infection. The same thing can happen with retained shed. But she has no retained shed there, and I didn't think there was enough water to do that, let alone survive the heat.

I'm just lying in bed watching her like a hawk. Which is hard because the more I watch her the more I worry, but I worry if I don't watch her and watch TV or something aside from read, I'll be paranoid that when I check on her she'll be dead or something.

So I'm kind of at a standstill, I want to bring her to the vet, but it'll be tomorrow at the earliest. If we bring her to the vet as well and need a bunch of tests run, I have to give up all the money I've saved for buying Repti's to feed her. Which is fine, but it does put us in a tough spot since when she does eat, she eats a lot.
That and I don't want to go booking vet app. only to have her be totally chipper and eating by tonight/tomorrow am, which might be possible but I'm not keeping my hopes up at this rate? I mean she has improved since yesterday, and is at least holding herself up and looking more alert, but when she moves it's still erratic.

She has never been housed on sand, only on tile. Her temps are 105-110 basking, and 80ish on the cool. She's 5 months old in 2 days, and I've had her for 2 weeks on Saturday. She eats lots of greens, between dandelion and collards, and eats lots of bugs. When she was eating Dubai she was eating 35 a day with 2-3 horns on top of that. She is now on 2 horns per day with 5-6 supers and butters. But she hasn't eaten any of her worms since Tuesday, since she hasn't eaten yesterday and today. Obviously no poop since yesterday morning, but it was a good formed poo with nothing abnormal about it.
She WILL show some interest in the feeders, but she doesn't seem to want them, I'm guessing this is because of the balance issues she's dealing with.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you might be right on a couple things, like inner ear infection [ which wouldn't cause redness by the way ] to cause the strange neuro behavior, but it might also be the very large prey items. If they are too large they can press on the spinal column and cause motor neuron problems, but that can pass after a bit. Exactly how long is she ?

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
She's 13 1/4 inches long on Monday, so she's probably a bit longer then that now but not by much. I didn't know the prey items could be causing something like this, shoot :oops: .

Crickets are a no go, I can't buy them online in bulk because I don't have the space(or can handle 1000+ crickets...) and if I buy them local, I think to feed her would be 10+ dollars per day, the Dubai were GREAT but I was getting them from Deb(SweetiePie), and her colony is taxed from it so I can't get any more from her. I want ReptiWorms(and am set up for it with a cooler), but am STILL waiting on them to ship things to me. :angry5:

I've got 50 butters, but she isn't showing any interest in them. I got them on Tuesday...and then all this happened...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That could be the problem, since she's still under 15 ". They can still pass the digested food, but at times when there are several large prey items eaten it can have that effect. If it is from that, she can get over it....see what happens in a day or so. Another possibility is overheating...they can get dizzy + lose their coordination from that. Is there any possibility that happened ? There are also certain toxins + viruses that can cause similar symptoms. And yes, calcium issues can come on quickly with a fast growing beardie, but it usually just starts out with the little bit of trembling in the toes + gets worse from there, so I doubt that's it. Just trying to leave no stone unturned. Hopefully she'll get back to normal soon. If you feed her 3" hornworms, try cutting them in half next time [ I know, pure grossness ], and same with the superworms.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I'll keep her off all large feeders until she's normal again and limit any large feeders from here on out until she's at least 16 inches.
I don't think it's the heat, it's been hot here since I got her, but the temps haven't changed at all. Not drastically, at least.

I know I don't NEED to dust butters, but should I be dusting the butters when I get some into her? Just in case there is calcium problems? She isn't showing any other symptoms of it, but I do know low Calcium can cause the weird twitches and such and just want to make sure.

She also never eats her food in one big meal, always small meals through the day. I keep them in a small bowl and she eats out of that when she wants. I'll empty it of the supers and figure something else out(can butters climb a ramekin dish?).

Thank you! I honestly never thought it could be her food. I'm still hoping it's just her ears, but will take extra precaution from here on out with what I give her.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Small update: She pooped earlier! Everything looked normal that I could see. Stank a bit though but I don't think it's parasites. I do need to get a fecal done on her soon anyways, but I'm not going to rush it because she is a bit small.

Still no eating. She's holding her head up more consistently though. I'm keeping an eye on her, hopefully things will be back to normal tomorrow, if not it's a vet trip.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sounds like the supers to me, and maybe the horns, too. I think no matter what she eats you should dust with calcium. She's cleaning out her system right now, too, so that's helpful and she could be dehydrated from the heat we're having + the heat in her tank, so I'd put the heat down to 105F, no more and give her 2 baths a day, soaking for 20 min each, just to give her extra hydration. Don't think it's an ear problem, sounds as if she's improving. Do you know when the phoenix worms will arrive?

Keep us update tomorrow, k?
Give her a hug for me. And snuggling won't do her any hard at this point, either!

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
No idea. Next week I hope. I'm going to call daily if I have too at this point, I'm very unimpressed.

She did get a small soak today but she kept her head flat on the bottom so it wasn't much, was to worried. I'll give her a good one in the AM before I leave and in the PM when I get home if Brandon doesn't do it first. I didn't snuggle with her last night, and I think I will mostly hold off tonight just to let her continue to feel better. She'll get lots tomorrow though!

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I said which type of UVB in my very first post(A 4 month old ReptiSun 10.0 tube), and indicated it is NOT my UVB. I am VERY confident that's not it. It is not to close, nor is it to far away(A 6 inch distance). Thresh is also very good at ensuring she gets her UVB in right amounts because she will sit at varied distances from it(from right under to 8 inches away) and on my days off she gets brought outside for at least 15-20 minutes, often times much longer.

I do appreciate the input, don't get me wrong! But please make sure you read the entire post before opting in.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Update!

She seems totally back to normal this AM. She still hasn't eaten yet, but I gave her a bowl full of butters and she was giving them a long and hard look when I stepped out of the bedroom so she'll be eating soon I think. She has certainly lost weight over these past days, poor girl. I'll get it back on her very quick.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great ! Seems like everything has passed through her system and she should be feeling better + eating soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom