"Ensure" still recommended for Beardies? Other thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lele

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

For those of you who remember Darwin and me - yup, he is still hanging in there. Will be 8 in Feb., probably has adenovirus and survives simply because we love each other :D

Once again, as he is nearing his usual semi-brumation, I always try to get his weight up (I actually begin this around August/Sept), which is next to impossible. I sometimes have to force feed him (using Veronica's/Beautiful Dragon's wonderful feeding nipples!) and recently reviewed some old bookmarks. I came across http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/hydrate.htm#signs which I had saved many years ago and had been a link from Melissa Kaplan's site. There is mention about using the product Ensure http://ensure.com/products. back then I was concerned about the high sugar content and still am. I was wondering if anyone still uses or recommends it? I know things change and become outdated and never see mention of it now.

When I make his winter mix it contains organic pumpkin, a bit of fluker's repta-aid, Ox-Bow's critical care, vitamin-b complex (liq), calcium carbonate (the very finely powdered) and couple other things depending what I have and how long it will be stored. As I have been caring for him since he was two months old, and gone thru many different feeding rituals with him, I have found that this works pretty well because he will generally eat it. However, when he doesn't, something sweet is what will get his mouth open (I only force if absolutely necessary) and liquid Calcium glubionate does the trick but, of course, cannot keep giving him that so thought about the Ensure. I did buy some (expensive and I have not worked for 7 months!) and he loves it, but the sugar thing really has me concerned. The Ensure is not only to get his mouth open, but if you exclude the sugar, it would help put on weight, has vitamins, minerals, etc.

Btw, he does get acidopholiz+ and Reptaid, just not in the mix. Any thoughts much appreciated!!

Here's my boy hugging his best girl two days before we lost her to cancer this summer. They were best buds :-(
8049364438_5aea76d2d8_c.jpg

lele

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
When my girl had her gum issues and wasnt eating, my vet had me use strawberry ensure in the syringe with the appetite stimulant. She was sick of it quickly lol

I passed a bottle on to a coworker who took in a rescue who wasnt eating from all his stress. He took to it right away and it helped him adjust to his new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom