Encouragement needed - breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
So, I've been working on breeding feeders for my babies. I had this grand idea that I was going to be self sustaining with regards to feeding my two dragons before winter comes again. So... I have a superworm colony started. :roll: Oh, dear Lord... this is a process!!! Argh! I started in the beginning of January. Right now I have 12 beetles, 8 aliens, and about 35 isolated worms. The 12 beetles are almost 4 weeks old. They moved into a bin of fresh substrate on Thursday last week. There is a bin of substrate that they were in for three weeks prior to the move. So, I feel like a complete *****. Every morning I put fresh carrot pieces in with my beetles, I put fresh carrot pieces in with this empty bin of substrate that shows no sign of life, and I look in on my isolated worms and aliens. I find it sooooooo difficult to believe that this bin of substrate is ever going to yield anything. Has anybody else hit this point in their breeding process and wondered if there were really ever going to be worms? Did you give up? Got worms? :wink:

Oh, I'm also trying my hand at breeding crickets. Kinda a fluke thing, to be honest. I had a big load of crickets die the weekend before last and went to the pet shop for an emergency supply. They had a box of 1,000 mixed for dirt cheap. Woo-hoo! Well, there were a ton of adults in there. So, just for kicks, I put a cup of dirt and wet it down good and let them have at it. To shorten the story a bit, I now have two cups of dirt filled with eggs that are incubating in a 10 gallon tank. The eggs are easy to see and I should be moving the first cup into a rearing bin in another day or two. Such a difference from the superworms. And I did that on a whim....

I had these great visions of bins of worms and crickets, plus flower boxes of greens by Halloween. Can I really do this? What else can I breed? (And, please, don't say roaches. I live in Florida.)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah... I'm looking into silks & horns. Biggest problem I see is food. Horns have such a short life span that I'm going to have to be sure I can sell the extras before I get involved or I will have a mess of dead worms on my hands... Started reading on silks last night, but food for them is so expensive and I can't find a recipe anywhere.

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Figuring out the diet for manduca etc is a problem. However, be patient and don't give up.

It takes many tries to get the hang of raising crickets. Getting eggs and hatching them is the easy(est) part.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks DNA. That's exactly what I needed. Just keep studying and keep going. Uh-huh. I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom